A adequate response?

I recently had some problems with my MySQL server, it would not let me create database, nor delete them, nor add users. This was corrected via a ticket AFO-40126-204, whjich was very good.

However after the repair the MySQL server started running very very slow, as did the VPS account in general. I tried resetting the server, as well as the MySQL service, however it continues to be unuseable. I have not installed any additional services to the account since the above mentioned problem, when it was working absouetly great.

So I logged the problem as a ticket (DJN-68345-437), hoping that it would be resolved. And this is the response I got (with my orginal message)

In my previous ticket (AFO-40126-204) you fixed the mysql server for me so that I could create databases again.

However although the service is now running fine, the message board that is powered from the MySQL database (http://www.balearic-jobs.com/asp/mb) is running extremley slow. If I restart the MySQL service it briefly speeds up again however it quickly reverts back to how it was.

Could you please have a look at this for me? Thank you.

VPS Hostname: -removed]

Sat Nov 11 2006 06:17PM by [email protected]
Hi,

Your VPS is running out of memory.

Please get more memory for your VPS or stop all the services that you do not need.

Regards
Neeraj

So I checked this, and guess what its the MySQL service that is currently running at 99% CPU all of the time.

I was pretty unhappy with the response from Neeraj it has to be said, considering the other great responses I have had in the past, however it has to be said they are somewhat undone when your site has yet further downtime due to a technical support agent apparently taking the lazy option. I believe this goes back to what I said some time ago, its a typical treat the customer dumb response.

As of this morning, I have just noticed that again have a "HTTP/1.1 New Session Failed" error", an issue that was previously reported. Resetting the server resolved this, however the message board is still in-accessible.

Regards

Rob, Balearic-Jobs.com

It sounds like this is a Windows VPS. Just a thought, but why are you running MySQL on your VPS when you get 4 or more external MySQL databases that don't use any resources on your VPS.

Ross

Hello Rob,

You have to keep in mind here that winVPSes are NOT fully managed like a reseller account is, we provide up to 1 hours of management assistance a month.

Tetranz has a good idea there, using the external MySQL, while it would not be manageable from the VPS Plesk, it would not use any resources, you could run the main forum from it, and use any other databases you may need that are smaller from the VPS.

I am not sure why mysql would start using 99% of the CPU but that can have a bad effect on all clients if it does that continually and I am checking it out.

I am going to keep an eye on it but for some reason your my.ini had been edited to allow 379 connections to MySQL and your forum was using over 190 of them, that seems a bit extreme for one website, like connections are not closing properly. If any further reply is needed I will send via email.

I am going to keep an eye on it but for some reason your my.ini had been edited to allow 379 connections to MySQL and your forum was using over 190 of them, that seems a bit extreme for one website, like connections are not closing properly. If any further reply is needed I will send via email.

I made no changes myself, these problems started occuring directly after the repair which allowed me to manage MySQL server via Plesk.

As for connections not closing properly, again, there may be a fault in the ASP coding, however Webwiz is a widely used application and I have personally been using it for years without mention of any problems with the database not closing.

It sounds like this is a Windows VPS. Just a thought, but why are you running MySQL on your VPS when you get 4 or more external MySQL databases that don't use any resources on your VPS.

Ross

Ross, thanks for the suggestion, it is something I have tried to do in the past however I require a MySQL 4.1 database and as far as I am aware, Jodo's shared MySQL servers do not currently offer this, otherwise I would never have choosen to move to VPS in the first place.

Need another reply if you see this before the emails.
SOme major issue with that converted DB....took down a whole dedicated server...you have the details in email.

Back