A trip to New Delhi

zaboss

Perch
Hi guys,

I plan a trip to New Delhi at the beggining of November - 2-9th of November. How is going to be the weather then?

November is excellant month to visit Delhi and most of India. By Oct - Nov weather starts to cool down here. Dec. - Jan. is quite cold in North India. During this time some 300 Km north of Delhi, Hill Stations see some snow fall.

Atul said:
By Oct - Nov weather starts to cool down here. Dec. - Jan. is quite cold in North India.
What would that be? A Mild summer or plain Fall? In degrees Celsius? 20-25?

Dec - Jan, temperature falls to around 20 degrees celsius. This Nov - Feb is the peak time of visit in Delhi... you'd find all hotels booked so its a good idea to ensure prior booking.

Feel free to visit us :)

Already booked, plane ticket bought. I would like to come to visit you but not sure if possible as this is a touristic visit via a travel agency and we are to visit New Delhi, Jaipur and Agra.

If I were to take a tour of India, I'd visit:

1) New Delhi - Has some nice things you can see around
2) Jaiselmair - This is a beautiful place right next to the Indo-Pakistan border. Huge sand dunes and you travel up on camel
3) Udaipur - Great place, lake palace hotel is where I stayed. It's basically a palace converted into a 5 star hotel, in the middle of a lake. You travel by boat and the lake has crocodiles and stuff :)
4) Hill stations like Simla, Mussoorie, Nanital, few more
5) Kashmir - Yet to visit but its suppose to be very beautiful
6) Goa - It's on the coast, and was a portuguese colony till a while ago. many great things to see there and the beaches there are the best in India
7) Pondicherry - This is also on the coast (but opposite side) and it was a french colony if I am correct. Has lots of things to see, and lots of great sea food
8) Andaman & Nicobar Islands.. There are a set of islands towards the east of India.
9) A few wild life sancturies. if you are lucky you can spot a Bengal tiger. There is a very famous bird sanctuary (forgetting its name) as well

Jaipur and Agra are more populated areas, and are mainly of historical significance. Jaipur has alot of forts. Agra has the Taj mahal.

I have couple of questions before packing:
- I understand that it would be cheaper to buy a phone card from India than using roaming for making international calls. Can you please advise me on this? What to look for at the airport? Some fees? A website for details?
- What type of electrical plugs are used in India? Those with 2 holes and 220V, 110V? 3 holes? I have some elctrical items that I would have to use (phone charger, laptop).

A, I forgot, how much would be a memory card for a photo camera? I would like to buy one of 512 or even 1 GB which is here about 100$/150$. Thanks a lot.

- You can buy a phone card from the airport. Your phone must be GSM though...
- 220V... 3 holes. Your hotel should be able to provide a plug type to change a UK-type plug to an Indian one.

In india, u can get a 512MB card for about $90 from any good digital camera shop. There are lots in Delhi... 4GB cards are available these days :)

Yash said:
- You can buy a phone card from the airport. Your phone must be GSM though...
It is, it's a Samsung Dsomething...
Yash said:
- 220V... 3 holes. Your hotel should be able to provide a plug type to change a UK-type plug to an Indian one.
I actualy use 220V with 2 holes :)
Yash said:
4GB cards are available these days :)
How much would that be?
Here I only found 1 GB at 150 for a Sandisk and about 180 for a Sony (my camera is a Sony).

Forgot to say thank you :(

zaboss,

Is it memory stick, CF, SD, xD, or something else? The capacity varies by type, 1GB will take a ton of pics though.

zaboss said:
Hi guys,

I plan a trip to New Delhi at the beggining of November - 2-9th of November. How is going to be the weather then?

Hi,

Please share your experience when you come back from Delhi. :)

Hi, got back.
It was a great trip and a once in a lifetime experience. For someone coming from Europe the difference is huge... Of course, one could write thousands of books about. Just some quick impressions:
- I was amazed by the contrasts India has poors/rich, old/new, I guess is hard to find somewhere else in the world such huge differences. You can see high tech building near huts. Last minute models (of everything you can imagine) next to thousands years old things.
- People. Always kind, ready to help.
Had about 10 CDs with pictures and small movies (actualy we were four and each one has his share). When I will have time, I'll write more, maybe I'll put online some pictures.
Overall, it was great and anybody should visit India, at least once.

Actualy it seemed bearable to me. Here hot weather is much dificult to bear as the air is much dry. Also, I should add that I was focused more on historical sites and didn't have much time to investigate modern India which I believe it is interesting too.

Back