adding CF to an existing non-CF account

I've got a client with a handful of domains under a basic linux account. Now they want to move over a ColdFusion site from a different host. What's the smartest way to facilitate that move -- should I upgrade the entire client account to one of my pre-configured CF plans? If I do so, how will that affect their existing domain structure (if at all)? Or should I create a new grouped plan that includes the basic account they're on now as well as a CF package -- or is there a better way to add a CF domain in this scenario?

From my experience, it is impossible to switch from Unix Plans to a WinCF plan. In fact, you will not be able to group a Unix plan with a Windows plan - it simply doesn't work. So, once you've created a WinCF plan, backup or download all of your clients websites - delete the Unix domain FIRST, then quickly recreate the domain using the new CFPlan. This process only takes a few minutes.

The reason you have to delete the Unix plan first is due to the fact that you can't have the same domain name setup in two plans at the same time. Try it and it will fail. It's a pain in the butt (a limitation in HSphere - not Jodo's fault), so you'll have to do one domain at a time and quickly start uploading the website. It really doesn't take long to acomplish, but I'd still recommend doing it at night so the DNS can propagate to the new server IP address. Also, don't forget to re-create the POP3 mail accounts and configure any Spam/Virus settings.

Hope this helps.
-68Shelby

shelby,

thx, very helpful -- i had a nagging suspicion that would be the end result here. I think I'm going to take a different route: I'm setting up the client with a separate account for the CF site; it'll mean separate billing, but that way at least I can avoid the hassle of pulling down the existing site structure...

shelby,

thx, very helpful -- i had a nagging suspicion that would be the end result here. I think I'm going to take a different route: I'm setting up the client with a separate account for the CF site; it'll mean separate billing, but that way at least I can avoid the hassle of pulling down the existing site structure...

The previous reply was correct just FYI.

Back