Anonymity Concerns

Dave96

Perch
Hi,

I managed to find a few jodohost resellers and tried a whois on them to see if they were really anonymous. The results indeed gave me anonymous name servers but the reverse ip lookup did state that the resellers (from jodohost) hosted over 250 domains. I was quite surprised at the high number so I clicked and got the list of those 250 or so domains. Than I whois a bunch of them to see if they were actually hosting on that reseller. Unfortunately not, the whois results stated that the domains (not all of them) were hosted on jodohost (ns1.jodoshared.com).

I dont know if that is said to still be anonymous as I have never used a reseller account but it is quite easy to find the mother host (jodohost in this case) using whois.

I'd just like to know if this is normal for resellers.

Regards,
David

250 sites on one server is actually quite low, that is the top for a P4 box but a Dual Xeon has about 1000 websites/accounts.

all reseller accounts and jodohost accounts are on the same servers so that is why not all where jodohost nameservers as it was some of jodohosts resellers nameservers.

all resellers have private name servers

Dave,

This is really the same with any host, if someone knows the tools they can find no matter the host.

You can give me a URL and within 15 minutes even while multi-tasking, I can tell you if they are dedicated server, reseller, or colocated(for the most part).

251 sites is actually very low. In fact I was looking up a site the other day(not one hosted here) and it was a windows server with over 3000 domains, which IMO is WAY too high, no matter the hardware used.

This is all to say that, there is no shame in being a reseller, you have value added services you can offer, find a niche market and take it!

In addition to that, if you outgrow a reseller account here, we can help you mvoe to one of our dedicated plans.

Edit: Yes jodohost shared accounts will show as ns1.jodoshared.com and such, resellers do get their own nameservers.

i meant 250 on a reseller account or that's what I tought until I found it it wasn't really the reseller's customers. I know a server can handle more than that.

Also, if it is just going by DNS entries on our shared servers, they are spread out over more than one server, just like your accounts would be as a reseller.

Back