ASP.Net 4.0

I realize that you won't roll out support for ASP.Net 4.0 until after general release, but typically how long does it take from the release date for something like this to when such an update would be available on your shared servers? How long did the ASP.Net 3.5 roll out lag its general release?

I'm trying to plan my development timeline this year and would like to stick with VS2010 and ASP.Net 4.0 if possible.

We had new servers supporting 3.5 the same week, we updated the asp.net 2.0 installed servers to 3.5 about a week or two after, and then the oldest servers except one (and it wont be updated to 4.0 either) where done at major maintenance period, at that point they did not even have asp.net 2.0 on them, so they had a large upgrade.

We will have to see what asp.net 4.0 brings as far as working with the control panel. On 2.0 we did it long before the control panel supported it, by ticket, as it was the only option/workaround we had.

One great thing about ASP.NET 4.0 is that it is a side-by-side release (like 1.1 and 2.0 were). So it's not "updating" an existing .NET version like 3.0 and 3.5 were. That should make adding it to servers a tad easier.

One great thing about ASP.NET 4.0 is that it is a side-by-side release (like 1.1 and 2.0 were). So it's not "updating" an existing .NET version like 3.0 and 3.5 were. That should make adding it to servers a tad easier.

But not making it accessible for users to switch, Hsphere development is basically stopped. they fired all the developers. We of course ran 2.0 long before it was supported, but with hand edits.

if hsphere fired all the developers, would not be appropriate to explore the possibility of change of control panel? More than a year ago you were considering this, what can you tell us about the change of control panel?

if hsphere fired all the developers, would not be appropriate to explore the possibility of change of control panel? More than a year ago you were considering this, what can you tell us about the change of control panel?

We have not checked 'change' of panel, but adding additional, 'changing' is really not possible as there is no valid migration path.
Parallels firing all the devs happened in December only.

We have several things in testing, and moving towards a couple of options, but some we just can't share at moment.

Fired all the developers? That's not a good sign, and not just because I'm a developer!

It was a very concerning sign of the direction they were taking.

I have looked into the asp.net 4.0 a bit more, I think it is something we will be able to offer even if it is a per ticket thing, but rollout will be a little slower than if Hsphere had full support.

I have looked into the asp.net 4.0 a bit more, I think it is something we will be able to offer even if it is a per ticket thing, but rollout will be a little slower than if Hsphere had full support.

Thanks for looking into it. I don't need to now, but feel confident enough that I'm basing my next major release on it. It will be ready to go later this year.

MS released it yesterday, we will have to test it more extensively than we did MVC2 which was basically a drop in, we will be announcing something on this as soon as we have a complete plan for it, and tested.

Back