ASP .Net Problem

Kensino

Perch
So I built a website with Visual Studio and I need to publish the website using Visual Studio. However, after every time I publish the website I start getting a 403 error and have to make a support ticket after each time I publish.

Then I get a response back saying that the problem is fixed please try it now. But I have no idea why this keeps happening.

Should I have to make a ticket after every time I publish my website?

Edit: The tech emailed me back and said that I needed to set the default index on my website, because for some reason it is being reset every time I publish my website, and I don't understand why that is happening. I added "default.aspx" to my directory index like I was told to do, but now I am getting a "500 - Internal Server Error" on my account.

Hello,

I'd recommend publishing via FTP for best compatibility, also if you are on windows 2008, your web.config controls your IIS settings, so this is powerful, it is is also probably creating this error.

Your web.config can actually OVERRIDE the control panel settings because it checks it on the local server level. Check IIS7 + web.config in a search engine for some tips on using this to your net benefit.

I think there were some problems in web.config.

I have published via the Visual Studio (it uses FTP to publish). I don't think I can use FileZilla to upload the application directly, because I'm not sure what files would need to be uploaded, and Visual Studio also compiles the entire project into special files before it uploads them.

I don't know how to recreate these files, even using the Build command in Visual Studio it doesn't create the same files.

I think there were some problems in web.config.

I have published via the Visual Studio (it uses FTP to publish). I don't think I can use FileZilla to upload the application directly, because I'm not sure what files would need to be uploaded, and Visual Studio also compiles the entire project into special files before it uploads them.

I don't know how to recreate these files, even using the Build command in Visual Studio it doesn't create the same files.
ok that is fine as long as using FTP.

It can be done other ways but sure I understand it is extra work.

Without a doubt the error 500 is due to web.config issues. Generally when this happens what you can do is ask us to give you the error, alternatively you can try adding this to the web.config to see errors in detail:

Code:
  <system.webServer>
<httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
</system.webServer>

if you already have other lines for system.webserver you can simply drop the middle line in there somewhere.

Back