Backup Question

Penhall

Perch
Can you explain what exactly "Managed block-level backups with storage" is under the OS-Level support option? I assume it is just a server image on a regular basis but are individual file restores available or just server level restore.

How many backups are kept?

Thanks
George

on the base OS level, we store up to two images at a time, and can take a scheduled backup based on your preference.

Each level up increases the amount of stored images by one, in addition to the other tasks.
While we manage the backups for you on these, you have access to the path they are taken, we do not mange the restore until the custom App Level plan.

However we use standard means of backup and on w2k8 that is windows server backup software, it is image level but with some easy to use tricks yo can do file level restores.

It simply makes a Virtual HD container that holds everything. As part of this you can mount it with the built in VHD mounter in Storage Manager and you have file level restore access :)

Hyper-V is not backed up otherwise, it should be noted. It does not have a user accessible 'backup' feature either, it has snapshotting but we don't recommend that
It does however work with virtually any backup tool for online services, we sell NAS, SAN or FTP space if you want/need, where you can take off server backups.

Thanks Stephen;

On the VPS provider I use I backup software for an onsite and offsite ftp backup option -the offsite does cost $$$ so was seeing if the service plan backup would eliminate that expense.

Anyway, I should get off my butt and the site over to a Jodo VPS instead to consolidate things. (Just have to figure out how to move over the db from a SQL 2008 Express without issues while trying to get it off the Express edition (and eliminating the need to keep backing up the db file myself))

Cheers

Thanks Stephen;

On the VPS provider I use I backup software for an onsite and offsite ftp backup option -the offsite does cost $$$ so was seeing if the service plan backup would eliminate that expense.

Anyway, I should get off my butt and the site over to a Jodo VPS instead to consolidate things. (Just have to figure out how to move over the db from a SQL 2008 Express without issues while trying to get it off the Express edition (and eliminating the need to keep backing up the db file myself))

Cheers

SQL Web edition is $25/m and includes SQL Agent.
There are also some osql scripts that I have run on others that work well, but on some installs they don't seem to do anything at all...quite weird, pretty sure it has to do with named instances but not had time to debug it yet, and not worked with express too much thankfully.

Back