Backup up SQL Server DB

Dave

Perch
Is it possible, using Enterprise Manager, to make a backup of my SQL Server database? I see where in Enterprise Manager it can be done, but if I try to add the physical path to a directory in my root, I get a warning message: Unable to confirm the existance of the backup location. Do you want to use the backup file location anyway?

I don't want to proceed just in case it is a valid warning that is trying to prevent me from doing something wrong. I know the physical path is correct, because I use it to point to my Access databases.

It would be nice to know that I have a backup of my SQL Server data, like I do with my Access DBs. What is JodoHost's policy in regards to SQL Server backups and restores (other than doing it myself, that is)?

Thanks for any help with both these questions.

I didn't understand what you meant by our policy on "backups and restores". We make backups of all files on tape currently so we couldn't retrieve individual files for you if that is what you mean

We have plans to upgrade to IBM NAS servers that would allow us to make network backups giving us greater flexibility on restoration.

As far as you EM problem goes, I think you should just go ahead and try and hit the "Yes" button

Thanks, Yash. My policy question was basically, if my database somehow got corrupted, or I lost data for whatever reason, was there a backup available, and could the database be restored? From your answer, you do make backups. But I don't really understand the point if you can't restore files. At work I back up the server to tape daily, and have oftened restored individual files for people.

Having my own backup is the way to go by the sounds of it. I'll try the backup from EM and see what happens. I'll post the results here, just in case someone else is interested in doing the same thing.

The situation is very different with us. It becomes very difficult for us to have our datacenter put in the tape for us on every request. We keep these for our own use during major system problems.

We are thinking to upgrade to state-of-the-art IBM NAS servers which would give us a more flexible backup solution. We'd be able to retrieve customers files on their request.

The backup option didn't work. Just gave me an error and terminated. However, the Export option allowed me to export the SQL tables into a local MS Access table. This should do the trick, as presumably I can then Import the same data if need be.

Would have been nice if I could export to a local copy of a SQL Server file, but unfortunately SQL Server 2000 won't run on WinXP Pro, so I can't create the file first.

Someone actually developed a program on PlanetSourceCode.com (Visual Basic) that could backup and restore SQL server databases. It Won a prize. Maybe you can try using that.

Yash said:
Someone actually developed a program on PlanetSourceCode.com (Visual Basic) that could backup and restore SQL server databases. It Won a prize. Maybe you can try using that.
Yash, do you have the URL to the program?

Dave said:
Would have been nice if I could export to a local copy of a SQL Server file, but unfortunately SQL Server 2000 won't run on WinXP Pro, so I can't create the file first.
Hmm... I have WinXP Pro and got SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition installed on it... So it should work fine. Check if something prevents from it to work, or maybe you have a different version of SQL Server?

I think I have the Enterprise Edition. As soon as I run the setup program, I get a message that says that my operating system is not supported, but the tools can be installed. The documentation that came with it also does not mention XP (which was not around when 2000 came out). Maybe I need an upgrade or something. I didn't buy it brand new, so it's probably quite out of date.

Bliss said:
Okay, I clicked Export, but nothing happens?
Just leave the page as is after you click Export. It works very slow and depends on the database size. When it will be ready, it will give you that "Download" dialog. It took 2 minutes for my database.

Back