Blocking IP addresses & countries

J

jon_r83

How is it possible to easily block IP addresses from accessing my site?

...and also is it possible to block countries from accessing my site (i am getting a lot a scams from Nigeria contacting customers)

Thank you v much for your help!

I would also be interested in knowing if this is possible?

I have a user abusing one of my clients sites (well, a spam bot), and I would like to block this IP - how do I do this?

What type of server, linux, windows, IIS, apache, etc.

Answer varies by what is used :)

Well, this particular issue is for a linux based server. Pretty sure your linux servers run apache don't they?

It would be handy to know how to do for a windows server as well? (so IIS)

23 Nov 06
Hi - I had this problem a couple of years ago with a Nigerian person. In asp (don't know about php) you use the server properties bit which gets the users IP address. Then you have a bit of code which checks it against a countries IP address range and then re-direct the page somwehere else. In my case I redirected the blighter to a Nigerian Government Anti Fraud site which should have scared him somewhat! It worked and the site wasn't plagued by him anymore.

Yea, I have done exactly the same thing for this guy (in PHP)! Redirecting him to http://spam.abuse.net/overview/spambad.shtml so he can learn the error in his ways! :)

Problem is, as a reseller, I do not want to have to put code on every clients page when they have a malicious user or spam bot.

I would prefer saying something like 'log into your control panel, go here, enter their IP number and viola...' or similar.

Back