Can't find basic info on vps

I've been searching and I can't find very basic info.
I've created a test domain. How do I find:

The nameservers I should use in my domain registration control panel?

It looks like the docs suggest using
ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com

Is this literal, or am I supposed to substitute something?

And if I am what value should I use?

The docs say "use your domain name."

I have many domain names and none are associated with the vps account I created.

I also can't find a ftp address that will work while I have no nameservers ready. In shared accounts, we are given a temporary ftp. Is there something like this I can use with vps?

Thanks!

not literally, you need to create the nameservers ns1 and ns2. yourdomain.com at your domain registrar, you will need to assign one to work with it :)

you can use the IP instead of domain for FTP initially.

Hi Stephen,

I don't know what you mean by "create the nameservers ns1 and ns2. yourdomain.com at your domain registrar"
This makes no sense to me since there is no domain associated with the vps account. It is a server and can service many domains. No?
When you say "yourdomain.com" -- what do you mean by this? Can I just make something up?
And I don't understand what the 'it' or the 'one' is when you said "you will need to assign one to work with it"

I have a domain on Jodo Domain Registration that I would like to associate with a domain I created via Plesk. I can set the nameservers in that domain. But I still don't know what to set these nameservers to.

Please Help!

You have to create the nameservers, they are called 'child nameservers' on our panel. Other registrars are different things, the new reseller accounts have to go through the same registring a nameserver process.

You will need to associate a domain with the plesk vps for it to work best.
After creating the childnameservers, you then set the domain to the ns1.thesamedomain.com and ns2.thesamedomain.com to be the nameservers for your domain, and then you will be in business, as when you create the child nameservers you will point the ns1 and ns2 to the two VPS IPs we sent you in the welcome email.

OK thanks so much for the info. I work best with a step by step process. Here's what I think I must do. Please let me know if I have it wrong.

1. Come up with a domain name for my vps. Something like myvps.com.
2. Register this domain (on jodo for example)
3. Create child nameservers - I have no idea what I am supposed to fill in here. There are two fields 1) Host Name 2) Ip address
4. Set the two nameservers to the IPs you sent in the vps welcome mail

I will need to know what to enter in step 3. Please let me know.
I still don't know what to set the nameservers to for my test domain that is hosted on my vps. ie. mytestdomain.com

no in step 3, you make the ns1 and ns2.myvps.com, you put in form, ns1 then the IP address #1 from welcome mail, then in next submit you make ns2 and put in the 2nd IP address.

then step 4 you now put ns1.myvps.com and ns2.myvps.com (for example) you can't use an IP as a nameserver.

Thanks again.
Here's the steps..
3. Create child nameservers - fill in 1) Host Name: "ns1" and "ns2" 2) Ip address: Use addresses from email
4. Set the two nameservers to: ns1.myvps.com and ns2.myvps.com

For the test domain created in Plesk:
Set the two nameservers to the same as step 4 above.

Is this correct?

OK thanks so much for the info. I work best with a step by step process. Here's what I think I must do. Please let me know if I have it wrong.

3. Create child nameservers - I have no idea what I am supposed to fill in here. There are two fields 1) Host Name 2) Ip address
4. Set the two nameservers to the IPs you sent in the vps welcome mail

I will need to know what to enter in step 3. Please let me know.
I still don't know what to set the nameservers to for my test domain that is hosted on my vps. ie. mytestdomain.com

Did you end up getting this to work? I did these steps with godaddy and host still cannot resolve ... is there some sort of additional steps needed ... on the Jodohost CP?

jodohost CP? you are speaking of Plesk in VPs, or Hsphere? Hsphere is untied from the VPS in every way, except for shared SQL space, and billing.

godaddy needs something called host information, it is in the domain panel, did you create the host information link from ns1/ns2 to the IPs? (our domain panel calls this child nameservers)

Yes, this did work for me. Many thanks to the tireless jodo staff :)

Please make this a sticky post because I think this will be of great value to me later as well as to anyone who is struggling with the vps system.

Yes, this did work for me. Many thanks to the tireless jodo staff :)

Please make this a sticky post because I think this will be of great value to me later as well as to anyone who is struggling with the vps system.

not a bad idea. I may edit your first post with some links in time, as I have time...something I am not coming by much the last weeks.

(JUST to make it a quick reference, not to edit your content)

Thanks again.
For the test domain created in Plesk:
Set the two nameservers to the same as step 4 above.

Ah, here is what I messed up on. I read all the steps but the 5th step wasnt labeled :) It is quoted above.

I'll add the domain to the VPS CP, and set those name servers.

(edit)

Looked around for a way to change the domain's name servers on the vps cp. No option there. It doesnt matter if i choose with or without web hosting, the results are the same. Am I missing a package option to do what the OP requested?

Hi Shannara

I'm not sure, but I think that the only way to change the nameservers is at the domain registrar cp.

Stephen: is this true?

It would be cool if there were some sort of graphic that showed the various elements and their relationships (yeah.. an ERD)

Best,
Shannon

Yes you have to change dns servers at the domain registrar only.

You ca edit DNS ENTRIES in the Plesk CP using the DNS menu dropdown, but it won't actually change anything on your domain itself until it is set at the domain registrar and pointing to the VPS IPs. Then DNS edits in the plesk menu will direct subdomains, cnames, etc.

Nothing on godaddy. I already did the go daddy host summary part :) I was kinda hoping there was a setting needed to be done on the VPS CP.

Back