CF w/ Foxpro and cfmail

We are currently with a different web host and unhappy with their service. We are considering switching to Jodohost, but before doing so, I had a couple of questions.

First of all, our site uses a Visual Foxpro database. How complicated is it to create a VFP CF datasource through Jodohost? What tasks are entailed in doing this?

If we uploaded this database to a Jodohost account, is there an option to place the database files in a directory that is not accessible via the web? The only option with our current provider is to password-protect the folder where the database resides or to change the folder permissions, but this can effect script functionality, it seems. We would prefer a host that offers some file space that is outside of the web root.

My other main question has to do with CFmail or even sendmail. We currently host our own mail server, so we would not be using the mail server on Jodohost for mail sent to our domain. With our current host this means disabling mail functionality on our account all together. The problem here is that neither sendmail nor cfmail are available for HTML forms, etc. if we are not using the web host for our email server. Is there a way to use sendmail and cfmail functionality through Jodohost, even when our mail server is located somewhere else (our server does not allow relaying)?

We are currently with a different web host and unhappy with their service. We are considering switching to Jodohost, but before doing so, I had a couple of questions.

First of all, our site uses a Visual Foxpro database. How complicated is it to create a VFP CF datasource through Jodohost? What tasks are entailed in doing this?

I have never heard of using foxpro with CF, I will research and see if I can find anything on this. We have many using Access and SQL, but not FoxPro,if you know the strings to connect, we can work with you on them.

If we uploaded this database to a Jodohost account, is there an option to place the database files in a directory that is not accessible via the web? The only option with our current provider is to password-protect the folder where the database resides or to change the folder permissions, but this can effect script functionality, it seems. We would prefer a host that offers some file space that is outside of the web root.

The structure of the accounts is as follows:
All listed below are folders:
chosenusername
-domaininthesystem.com

All you need to do to put the FoxPro database in a folder you create that could be like this.

chosenusername
-domaininthesystem.com
-databases

The only domain in the "web root" are the domains with the domain.com on them, the others are private and must be referenced via DSNs, parent paths, or server map paths.

My other main question has to do with CFmail or even sendmail. We currently host our own mail server, so we would not be using the mail server on Jodohost for mail sent to our domain. With our current host this means disabling mail functionality on our account all together. The problem here is that neither sendmail nor cfmail are available for HTML forms, etc. if we are not using the web host for our email server. Is there a way to use sendmail and cfmail functionality through Jodohost, even when our mail server is located somewhere else (our server does not allow relaying)?

You can use CFMail and set the server to yours without a problem.

Thanks for your reply.

I know that it is possible to use CF with FoxPro, because I am currently building this site on my local machine using the developer version of CF and it interfaces just fine with foxpro. However, to make the datasource available to CF, I had to first add the proper ODBC driver for FoxPro to my computer then I went into the CF Administrator and added this datasource as an ODBC connection. After that it worked fine. I don't know anything about "strings", etc.

As for the CFmail issue, you said that I could set the server to our server, but that is the whole point, I cannot do that. Our mail server will not accept relayed SMTP connections. What I need to know is if I will be able to use your server for SMTP in this situation even though I am not using your server to host our email services?

Thanks again.

Ok, I understand the mail question now, I would recommend setting up a domain domain with mail services on our servers for that to work,as you need to use SMTP auth for it to send, which is done by setting the username to [email protected]@mail.domain.com, this could be done easily from a subdomain setup on our servers.

As far as foxpro, we can do that for you, it won't be available via the control panel, but we can do it manually.

> setting up a domain domain with mail services on our servers for > that to work,as you need to use SMTP auth for it to send, which > is done by setting the username to
> [email protected]@mail.domain.com, this could be done easily

I don't exactly understand what this is or how it works, but I assume that it is something you could help me to create when the time comes.

I just want to be certain that this will not affect the way our mail functions for the 6 different domains that we would want to host? We would still be able to set the MX record to our own server and all incoming email would still be forwarded on to us, correct?

> As far as foxpro, we can do that for you, it won't be available > via the control panel, but we can do it manually.

Thanks for your response to this. For the foreseeable future, we would only have the one foxpro db, so once it was set up, I don't think there would be much need for further changes on your end anyway.

The subdomain mail would not be a big deal to setup at all,and you can easily set your own MX records.

I have uploaded our FoxPro database to our account. How do I go about getting it configured to be accessible through ColdFusion now?

send me a Private Message with all of the required data:
Location of file, name of file, any user/pass if required, requested DSN name in the format of username_dsnname

Back