ColdFusion Performance

Clark

Perch
I really like Jodohost, but I have been having tons of trouble with ColdFusion lately, 'unable to create native thread', pages that won't load, etc. Stephen has said that they problems with Access databases and ODBC connections.

My question is, has anyone else had problems with these outages. I'm an experienced coder, but a new small business owner and my clients are getting very, very irritated - especially when they post a lot of data and get the native thread issue.

I don't want to switch providers, and I even thought they had it fixed this week but I think I'm going to have to. I'm afraid though that another provider would have the same problems, so why switch?

Thoughts and advice?

Clark,

We have been monitoring closely and even on your site we check it quite a bit, but I am not seeing this happen anymore, or very rarely, less than once in 24 hours time. Is there a specific page you are seeing it happen on more, can you put that in ticket for us to monitor it?

If you are running CF with Access, do yourself a fovor and switch to MySQL. I've got several apps running for clients that are under constant use, and I can't remember the last real issue we had that was CF or database related. I have some sites on win6 and some on winCF.

This is about wincf2, and it was a pretty major issue, but after some work and some assistance from clients moving from Access to SQL or MySQL, it is going much better, and we have not monitored and issue of major scale for a few days now. We have to restart CF on most every server at least once in 24 hours, and wincf2 is similar, but it is not hanging near to the level we saw before, it is why I asked if there is still an issue for a ticket to exact page/url with an issue.

Stephen,

I understand what you are saying but I'm seeing this all the time. Simple ColdFusion pages don't connect. As I'm writing this, I went to open http://www.phillipslanes.com, a very simple CFM page and it wouldn't open. This one is not under constant use, like http://www.myclientpro.com.

I guess monitor http://www.phillipslanes.com and https://myclientpro.com/startpage.cfm

I don't know what else to say, I would think its my code but its happening on a number of my sites and is intermittent still.

On http://www.phillipslanes.com, I hit refresh and nothing several times. I just hit refresh and it came up, so it did not respond in the 1-2 minutes it took me to type this. I get reports like, "it wouldn't come up, and then all of a sudden it did"

As for the other gentleman's question, I have no Access connected databases, all are MSSQL.

it is quite odd, I have been going to the 2nd url quite a bit, and the first I just went and did not see any issue, however we will keep and eye on it closely.

I thought I was the only one receiving the unable to create native thread error. I have recently created a CF site for a client and they sometime report that they receive this error. I asked them what they are doing when this happens and they can't point to anything in particular because it happens randomly on different pages. When they close the browser and wait a few minutes, this problem fixes itself until the next time it pops up.

My client that is receiving the error is on the wincf2 server however, I have another client on the wincf server who has never seen the error. Both site are farily basic CF sites that connect to MS Access DB's. The only on the wincf server acutally uses 2 MS Access DB's.

I put in a ticket (#ACN-88430-172) and was told that it is a DB issues and converting to MSSQL would be better. However, I'm wondering why I'm not receiving the error on the wincf server with similar site. Is the server running out of memory or are the 2 servers configured differently?

twodaend,

the ODBC server portion of CF is crashing, which is causing CF to hang threads, and causing it to error as such. Moving off Access helps with the ODBC threading.

Does this problem only apply to the wincf2 server or is it both the wincf2 and wincf server? I'm hesitant to move from Access as I've have no experience with other DB's. Thus transfer my current DB from Access to MSSQL would be new for me and I have no idea how to do such a thing.

However if it would help, I would surly like to do so in the easiest way possible.

I have worked a lot on this today and found a few problem sites and send abuse notices, and in once case had to stop the domain because any time you loaded the page it would cause the errors on threads.

One site was offering binary downloads that parsed through the CF engine keeping threads open for a number of minutes at a time, they have been given a 48 hour notice to work on this to change method so that it does not hold threads. Another has been stopped for bad coding that caused high cpu usage(100% while pages load, and they were being loaded a lot today) for a server otherwise running at about 2% average load, and then causing a crash within 3 minutes of the pages loading.

Just had the first hang on CF since I made the changes noted above, it was due to the downloading site having multiple open long running threads(over 1000 seconds), of note, this site is using Acess DBs as well. if it continues to cause such issues it may have that 48 hour notice moved to a nearer term or partially disabled for the sake of all other customers.

Manish has given me a report that it did well msot fo the day, up until the last 50 minutes, and in that tme it has gone down twice, he got it back up within 1-2 minutes each time. Seems to indicate that some traffic for a eastern trafficed site may be at play here that is causing the ODBC engine to hang. I am checking into it now, just giving all an update on it :)

Any progress? I've checked all my sites this morning, and they seem to be OK right now.

Stephen,

Which URL were you looking at when you wrote:

it is quite odd, I have been going to the 2nd url quite a bit, and the first I just went and did not see any issue, however we will keep and eye on it closely.

Did it do the same thing to you?

No it did not do the same thing, I refreshed it with control + f5 a large amount of times(being sure it would not come from my browser cache)

That being said, my other updates were not directly about the sites you mentioned but overall.

I have checked server logs and only seen one native thread error, and everything else at moment seems alright, but we are still watching it closely.

Just had a minor issue on it, resolved within 20 seconds.

I know this seems small, but 20 seconds frequently means that someone who tried to access the site did not get on, or someone who was posting a form lost their data. This is why customers are so upset.

Don't you think its time for drastic measures...don't ask me but we have to do something!

A Summary Of Today's Business From One Of My Customers

Clark, I Just Wanted To Let You Know What Kind Of Day We Have Had On
Mcp. We Were Logged Out Alot Today. The Sales Rep's, Kelly And I Had
To Reenter Data 3-4 Times For A Lot Of Customers. This Afternoon When
We Hit Save It Logged Us Out Several Times. It Is Soooooooo
Aggrivating!!!!!!! Peggy

Clark,

I have all the logs and the errors, there were only two native thread matters today, are you sure the logouts happening were not a session variable timeout?

the issues today were at: 4:45pm and 7:51pm EDT

Back