.com Glue Records ?

OJM

Perch
Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me out please...

I'm trying to change the nameservers of a .com domain that my client has with Heart Internet, but it doesn't seem to be changing.

I've asked them what could be causing it, and they've come back with;

There are no top level host records at the .com registry for those nameservers, those 'glue records' are required before the domain can be transferred. As the domain ***.co.uk is not under our control, this is not something we can do on their behalf, they will need to sort this out with the provider of those nameservers before any .com transfer can be successful.

How do I setup glue records, so the .com domain can successfully point to my nameservers?

I've pointed numerous .co.uk domains ok, but it looks as though .com's are different...

Thanks in advance!

OK, you are pointing a .com to a .co.uk?

Sometimes we can rebuild the DNS and fix this issue, but I have heard of the country domains giving errors just as this(like .us), so it would be best if you sent a ticket or PM me the domain, and I will check it in a few hours, when I am on shift.

Thanks Stephen, I've sent you the details.

Just wondering...what would happen to the emails going to this domain?

Thanks

I got the PM, just having to research why the country domains don't have clue so much.

I think I replied this via ticket, or my ideas on it relayed to another admin, we were discussing.

From what I am seeing, it looks like you will have to create some manual DNS records here in hsphere for the .com domain, pointing to the servers, then at the regitrar create personal nameservers for the .com domain, and then move the nameservers to the personal nameservers.com

SO in essense, you are giving the .com domain private nameservers.

>> In Hsphere control panle of your domain (***.com)you need to add ns3.***.com and ns4.***.com with custom A records (these A records should be IPs of ns3 and ns4).

>> Once you have done this, you need to create child namesevers with these ns3.***.com and ns4.***.com at your registrar's end.

>> Then you can assign ns3.***.com and ns4.***.com for your domain.

That's what I received through the ticket, but not sure where I need to add the ns3 and ns4 of the .com domain. I've added them as subdomains under the clients login (which is using up 2 of his subdomains) but I can't see where I need to add custom A records...or do I need to add these under my reseller account?

Under the clients domain company, where do I need to point the CNAME (ns3.***.com and ns4.***.com) to?

Will I need to do this for all .com's that host in the future?

Actually, delete those subdomains you made, you need to go to the domain list on the hsphere cp, find the domain and click the "edit" by DNS.

In this screen manaully create two records for the two nameservers:
ns3.customerdomain.com IN A 204.14.104.150
ns4.customerdomain.com IN A 204.10.105.200

Will you have to do for each .com? I am not sure, registrar policies on DNS servers vary from one to the next.

Ok, I've added those under my clients Hsphere CP, but not sure (and don't understand) what I need to do at the domain name's side (Heart Internet).

I wouldn't mind PMing you the login details, if you wouldn't mind taking a look for me?

Sorry that I don't fully understand.

Sure, I can handle this for you without a problem, it is pretty much the same as it was when you signed up for the reseller account, having to create the custom nameservers.

Sorry Stephen, could you advise on this please, as the client is chasing me to move them over and I can't due to what's mentioned in this topic.

Thanks.

Could someone please advise on this, as my client and myself is getting impatient.

Has anyone else had this problem, who could advise on how I can fix this please?

OJM, the registrar is changing items we set automatically without intervention, and is almost featureless. I am lost on this one. :(

Isn't it something at Jodo's end though, if the domain has no glue domains when the nameservers are pointed to Jodo servers?

I really need this pointing to Jodo (aka my reseller account) if I can work with this client.

Do you have any suggestions?

OJM said:
Isn't it something at Jodo's end though, if the domain has no glue domains when the nameservers are pointed to Jodo servers?
They are not referring to anything at our end, but the .com root servers. In other words, they expect you to provide any nameservers that ends in .com ( although nameservers of any TLD should work)

Ask them if they allow creating child/private nameservers for this .com domain and then use it.
Or you can create childnameservers for any .com you own at any other registrar and use them here..

Back