Configuring Large Application on VPS

DavidG

Perch
Hi -

I have a large (60 odd MEG) ad-hoc reporting application that I want to install on my VPS.

The applicaiton could consume a sizable amount of my current accounts RAM.

The goal is that the application be accessed via a site that is on my server (www.myBItest.com or whatever) that will simply contain a login screen and a few pages prompting the user to select a database connection string.

Is it possible to simply create a domain template that contains a very large resource allowance (say 5 GIG of disk and 100 GIG of bandwidth), then assign the 'portal' site (www.myBItest.com) to that template and simply install the application into that account?

I realize that the actual configuration will be a complex issue, but I am just trying to determine, in the most general terms, what is the best approach to installing a very large applicaiton that will be accessed via a single domain.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.
David

this has plesk or without plesk? There is no issue with using one VPS for one site by any means :)

this has plesk or without plesk? There is no issue with using one VPS for one site by any means :)

I do have Plesk along with Power Pack.

I'm new to Windows so I wanted to at least have something familiar to start with (Plesk).

Does it make a difference vis-a-vis my question?

Thanks!
David

not any issue at all on plesk side just set it all to unlimited and watch the real limits via the power panel. :)

not any issue at all on plesk side just set it all to unlimited and watch the real limits via the power panel. :)

The app actually requires .NET Framework 2.0 and Im noticing now that the site application installer does not allow for installation of ASP.NET.

Im kind of leaning towards utilizing the paid Management Ticket thing as Im anxious to see if the app will even work on the server before I go ahead and start delving into anything.

Thanks!
David

I did manage to install the application via the remote desktop.

Thanks,
David G

My app is up and running but I am getting errors due to framework being set to .NET 1.1. (see below)

I checked my configuration on install and it was 2.x.

I am simply running the the app from the desktop at this point. Does this default to 1.1 on execution unless otherwise instructed?

Parser Error
Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'rdWeb.Global'.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="rdWeb.Global" %>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2407; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2407

You need to set the framework version within Plesk, in the preferences for the domain hosting.

You need to set the framework version within Plesk, in the preferences for the domain hosting.

I can do that at the domain level.

However, the applicaiton requires me to perform certain operations via VPS remote desktop.

Attemtpting to run these operations results in the parsing error above.

When I go into IIS manager to change the properties of the directory in which the program resides to 2.0, only Framework 1.1 is listed in IIS manager.

OK - I managed to finally get everythig up and running.

The default site needed to be set to 2.0 within IIS in order to create the applications.

Only once the application is created and reviewed in VPS do you then create a virtual directory (pointed at the application folder) in the domain you want to have access to the application.

Thanks again for you help!

David

Back