Creating DNS records for Domain Aliases

Oded

Guppy
Hello All

Hoping someone can help me out here.

I created a domain alias for one of my domains, but Plesk does not give an option to create DNS records for the domain alias.

Any idea how this can be done?

Thanks Alot

Oded

You can't do this through Plesk. It's something that you may be able to do (risky) by editing DNS configurations through SSH.

I am asking Swsoft this, as Oded's name server does not answer properly for the alias domain when pointed to the nameservers. Seems like a severe oversight in design!

Stephen said:
I am asking Swsoft this, as Oded's name server does not answer properly for the alias domain when pointed to the nameservers. Seems like a severe oversight in design!
The alias doesn't work?

Oded is pointing the domain alias to the nameservers, but the nameservers are not replying as they have no entry for the domain because plesk did not make one. I am still trying to find out on this.

(And I think Oded is doing proper in pointing to the same nameservers, it is the way it should be done, and the way hspehre does it as well) Maybe just some difference in Hsphere to plesk methods, but this seems to be the logical way to me.

Did you select the correct item from the dropdown menu? "Web+FTP+Mail", "Web+FTP"? Try removing it and then re-adding it?

It Works!!

Not sure How, but the domain alias is working.

Maybe Plesk is smarter than we think?

In any case, I created the domain Alias (in plesk) and pointed the nameservers of the domain alias to the nameservers of the original domain name (with my domain registrar) And now it works!

Thanks alot

Oded

Or you could probably just create an A record wildcard for DNS.

*.<domain>. A <ip>

Honestly though, I think it should have worked from the beginning.

The problem is that domain alias is a different domain, a subdomain woudl be fine with a *.domain.com wildcard entry, but it is not replying to DNS requests for the OTHER domain, as it does not and did not make a DNS zone for this other domain name.

Stephen said:
The problem is that domain alias is a different domain, a subdomain woudl be fine with a *.domain.com wildcard entry, but it is not replying to DNS requests for the OTHER domain, as it does not and did not make a DNS zone for this other domain name.
Oops, I forgot about that.

Domain aliases never make DNS records for the alias. I've got about 5 aliases added, and none of them have added a DNS record.

are you pointing it to ns1/ns2.maindomain.com or using the registrar to point with a DNS A record at the registrar itself?

If Oded does not want to make it public, it could be sent via private message.

Oh SWSoft says they don't do DNS on aliases.

Stephen said:
Oh SWSoft says they don't do DNS on aliases.
They don't.

"Domain aliases never make DNS records for the alias. I've got about 5 aliases added, and none of them have added a DNS record."

Maybe he just didn't give it time to propagate?

The main domain has now mostly propagated, except at yahoo mail servers :)
And yes, I had read that, but ticket was already in with them by that time.

Stephen said:
The main domain has now mostly propagated, except at yahoo mail servers :)
And yes, I had read that, but ticket was already in with them by that time.
Have him add a new alias and then see if it's functioning without the NS record at the regsistrar. After adding it, see if it's functioning at www.dnsstuff.com. ;)

it may be picky CC TLD issues as much as anything, but he is pointing a .com domain to a CC TLD, it should still work however.

Back