db backups

mgrunk

Perch
Ok, I'm being lazy since I haven't searched the forums - but what do people do for backups of their customer's db?

I have a number of mysql dbs - I am not sure what Jodohost does nor what I should do in regards to backing up the data.

Thanks,
Michelle

WE have backups and can restore them for you, but you can also enable account backups in hsphere(at the plan level) then you can offer customers a point and click backup of mysql DBs.

I have a standard VB.NET that I wrote to backup databases from the remote SQL db to a local SQL db.

It's pretty fast, lots faster than say doing a DTS backup job. A complete backup of any client's db takes a couple of minutes.

I have a standard VB.NET that I wrote to backup databases from the remote SQL db to a local SQL db.

It's pretty fast, lots faster than say doing a DTS backup job. A complete backup of any client's db takes a couple of minutes.

It's good to hear that, but it is not good that you didnt share it :p

Could you please share the link with us ?

Well I wrote it for a client, so it's not generic. When I have a bit of time, I'll try to arrange it in a fashion so that people can customise it to suit their particular db structure.

I only mentioned it to say that using a specially written prog is much faster than using EM, so that is my preferred method and one I'd highly recommend trying. :)

That was a realy good answer time !!

Maybe you can share the core of you soft.

PD:
I'm a developer also, but I work mainly with a full code generator. Its 4th generation software, now migrating to a 5th generation.
Write realy big, big aplication without written a single line of code and better of all. I can generate Net o Java code, running under MySQL, MsSQL o Oracle (only sellecting the DBMS).

The developer software is call Genexus

I'm using it from the last 9 year's, some software was born on Clipper 87 (DOS) and migrate (with very little job), to Visual FoxPro, Visual Basic and now C# (from dbf to Access and now MsSQL).
For example this develop has nearly 200 form, 50 tables and 60 reports. It generate nearly 1.500.000 lines of c# code and I hand written nearly 20 c# lines by hand.

My relation with this company is only as a client, but they and I live in a small country and we all know each other (common friends, childs common school, supermarket, etc).

The company has a head office in Montevideo-Uruguay (with the develop team), and aditional office in Brazil, USA, Mexico and Japan. They have more than 20 years in the market and all the month growing.

In anyone have any inquire about this, please feel free to send a PM

PD:
- Sorry for my english, but my natural language is spanish
- I know that this reply is out of threed, but I cant stay without answer the question of previus message.

Antic, what does your software do in general terms? I'm looking for a solution but I might just build one.

Antic, what does your software do in general terms? I'm looking for a solution but I might just build one.

It's a Windows app written in VB.NET that is basically a set of subroutines for copying records in bulk from one db to another, driven by the main routine which does it in a logical fashion for the particular db you want to back up.

The basic process is:
a) remove "tricky" table relationships from the destination db,
b) copy data from all tables from source to destination db,
c) restore table relationships in destination db.

This is done in the main routine by simply calling the subs for each db object. So with a few lines of code you can backup your db. The time it takes is a fraction of running a DTS job that does the same thing.

Removing certain relationships first lets you copy tables without encountering foreign-key conflicts. It helps get around those occasional chicken-and-egg relationships that, if not removed, make a db impossible to copy programmatically.

I'll try to post up the code in the next few days.

eehost, the app is provided as unencrypted PHP files. If you have other questions, we should probably continue outside of this forum. Email info is on my site or you can PM me through these forums and I'll send you my email and IM addresses.

Tim

Back