DDOS attack on web12

tanmaya

APAC Operations
Staff member
web12 is experiencing a DDOS attack at the moment on its shared IP that makes the situation much harder to resolve. We are looking into the issue and will post an update soon.

We made some changes to make things faster and it turned to give more room to these DDOSers. We are looking for alternative options now.

We have temporarily blocked access to websites on shared IP on this webserver. In some cases it makes it appear to the attacker that the host has gone down due to attack and they quit.

I disabled above block to see and attack came back hard at 893 req/sec.
Applying the block back again.

It has been a while since the last update, but we have made a lot of changes, and things are managable, sites are loading slightly slower than normal by still acceptable (sometimes sub second and sometimes 2-4 seconds)

A slight correction to my last post, i lifted the block in 10 minutes so that sites atleast remain accessible even if slow. As Stephen already posted, sites are running much better now. We are still working on another solution to handle if the attack worsens.

Attackers went a step ahead and starting DDOSing the website as well they are apparently targeting the whole time. This made our task easier and we have now disabled this website at DNS level, so unless they have a shared DNS cache, the attack should go away in a few hours. There aren't many option apart from disabling it right now.

Back