Difference from CF MX 6 to 7?

Homer

Perch
What is the difference between version 6 and 7 of ColdFusion? I've been looking for CF hosting and see some hosts keep up to the latest version and are at 7 while others are still on 6. I'm just wondering what I will be missing if I select a host on v6.

Also, what about restrictions? I see some hosts have more restrictions on what you can do with CF than other hosts. One I see a lot is "custom tags." Is this an issue or something worth worrying about?

Homer said:
What is the difference between version 6 and 7 of ColdFusion? I've been looking for CF hosting and see some hosts keep up to the latest version and are at 7 while others are still on 6. I'm just wondering what I will be missing if I select a host on v6.

Also, what about restrictions? I see some hosts have more restrictions on what you can do with CF than other hosts. One I see a lot is "custom tags." Is this an issue or something worth worrying about?
There are a LOT of new features in CF7 that are not in 6.1, here's what I can spout off the top of my head:
- Direct output to PDF, MS Word or Flashpaper using the CFDOCUMENT tag. Direct output to Excel, or PDF for CFREPORT (along with a new custom report building module). Improvements in flash integrationin CFCHART tag.
- CFFORM type="FLASH"... automatic creation of Flash based forms (including multipage flash forms) from a single CF tag.
- For those not sharing hosting there is now a CFAdministrator API. This allows custom application development that works at an administrator level.
- On servers with Enterprise Edition a new feature for non-web gateways. Create a CF driven IM client (or IM bot), check the file system natively with CF or even make a direct port mail or FTP server using CF.
- True creation of deployable applications (WAR/EAR files).
- Application.cfc with the ability to fire off functions on application and session start and end.

That's what I can remember off the top of my head today.

That's what I can remember off the top of my head. I've made a lot of yse

Thanks Hatton. Looks like some really powerful features. I think I'll need to find a host with CFMX 7.

Well they started embedding my ideas. Starting with my itext for
pdf then moving on to gateways because I was looking into jabber at the time. They put in Casting for Q to Q and nulls for java. The list goes on and on.

Back