Does vs.net work with Jodohost?

yorri

Perch
I guess I have 2 questions regarding this.

Will vs.net work with jodohost for publishing? I can't get the free tool webmatrix to work (either doesn't support port ftp or it doesn't work with my router.)

and the second thing would be...if vs.net is supported....will it create a subdirectory as an application. Since Hsphere doesn't provide this functionality, I wonder if vs.net does. I think visual studio 6 used to do this but I haven't tried .net. If it does...then I think it's time for me to upgrade :)

anyone who knows...that would be great..

Thanks in advance.

I'll let you know about any VS.NET FTP issues by tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that many customers are using VS.NET to directly publish files anyway. We did however deal with a customer who was getting a "Permission Denied" error when VS.NET was trying to create a "_vti" file in the bin directory. We asked him to create it via FTP and then try publishing it again and he hasn't got back to us since (so I'm guessing it probably worked)

I'm surprised you are having problems with WebMatrix because I'm sure that people are using that to publish files (being more popular than VS.NET).

OK, I went through this with our Windows administrator. There shouldn't be any FTP issues with VS.NET and our servers. The only thing that can be a problem is if VS.NET doesn't support Port connections which pretty much all software should. But of course if you are having port connection problems through your NAT router, you'll face the same problems with VS.NET as well

I'm not sure regarding your sub directory question. I recommend you download a VS.NET trial and see if that sort of functionality is supported

Yash said:
OK, I went through this with our Windows administrator. There shouldn't be any FTP issues with VS.NET and our servers. The only thing that can be a problem is if VS.NET doesn't support Port connections which pretty much all software should. But of course if you are having port connection problems through your NAT router, you'll face the same problems with VS.NET as well

I'm not sure regarding your sub directory question. I recommend you download a VS.NET trial and see if that sort of functionality is supported

I think my problems with webmatrix are with the router but that is ok since it doesn't offer me anything over dreamweaver which does work. I was more interested in the setting of subdirectories as web applications aspect of vs.net since Hsphere doesn't allow this functionality. Unfortunately there is no downloadable trial version of vs.net...or at least I couldn't find one. I was hoping someone here would know the answer to my question.

I have to admit yorri, I have no idea what you mean by sub-domain support. You can only deploy ASP.NET in your domain folder and not in the root. Just enable ASP.NET for that domain from the CP. Do you mean you want to deploy ASP.NET in a subdirectory, in the domain folder?

Their free trial does not allow access to domains outside of that server...so I cannot test it on Jodohost. I already tried it.

I would also like to point out that I said there is no DOWNLOADABLE trial.

FreeWilly said:
I have to admit yorri, I have no idea what you mean by sub-domain support. You can only deploy ASP.NET in your domain folder and not in the root. Just enable ASP.NET for that domain from the CP. Do you mean you want to deploy ASP.NET in a subdirectory, in the domain folder?

Yes I realize you can only deploy applicatons within the domain folder. I am talking about a subfolder within one of my domains. And I am not talking about simply copying aspx files there. I can do that already with dreamweaver or any ftp program. I am talking about setting a subfolder as a web application....this is something that you can only do with IIS OR through a control panel that supports this functionality (H-Shere doesn't). I am wondering if vs.net, when it deploys a web application, if it will set a subfolder as a asp.net web application. I think I remember Interdev providing this functionality but I can't remember and I also wasn't sure if this is something (if vs.net supports it) if Jodohost allowed it (maybe they could have turned off this functionality...I have no idea.)

yorri said:
Their free trial does not allow access to domains outside of that server...so I cannot test it on Jodohost. I already tried it.

I would also like to point out that I said there is no DOWNLOADABLE trial.

It should tell you whether VS.NET supports that feature. Is that your question or is your question would such a feature work here at JodoHost?

Yash said:
It should tell you whether VS.NET supports that feature. Is that your question or is your question would such a feature work here at JodoHost?

Actually I am looking for both.

I've checked the product information and the FAQ... I think this is something that is a little too specific of a question for their general website. I have searched their product knowledgebase as well but found nothing. Maybe I am not looking for the right searchwords??

yorri, this is something I'll have to look into again with our Windows administrator and PSOFT. I'll need a day. Although we could get such an application to work manually on the server, it creates difficulties when shifting accounts because they are not directly supported by HSphere.

Yash said:
yorri, this is something I'll have to look into again with our Windows administrator and PSOFT. I'll need a day. Although we could get such an application to work manually on the server, it creates difficulties when shifting accounts because they are not directly supported by HSphere.

Well I just tested Interdev and it does create an application like I thought...so maybe I will just use this. I enabled Frontpage on my website but couldn't connect to it. Do I have to wait for someone to enable this for me on your end? I assume I just use the same login information that I use for Hsphere no?

if you create a subdomain and activate the frontpage extensions it works.

app1.domain.com

better than nothing. :D

rabin said:
better than nothing. :D

Not really because that is not what I was looking for.

besides...we are able to ask for a directory to be enabled as an application now until Hsphere provides this ability to do it ourselves.

Back