Firebird?

brawney

Perch
Yash and all,

I read some very good things about the Firebird SQL database server. (http://www.ibphoenix.com) It is based off the Borland Interbase code which is a very good SQL server. Other than that there isn't much I know about it. I would feel very confident that it is a great product. It's free, but I don't know the license specs for use on a web host.

Anyway, do you know anything about this product and do you think it is something that JodoHost or it's customers would consider using?

We could definately consider installing it, but I'd like to see some demand build for it first.

I think most customers are content with the power Microsoft SQL Server offers.

I for one am happy to use MS Sql and since the latest MYSQL now offers some of the features that I consider vital (stored procs etc) I don't see much use for anything else...beyond these 2 I guess it would be the preference of the developer.

I would also only want to use a db server that I could transport somewhere else (if that need ever arises). I would hate to spend all my time learning and developing on a platform that one could only use in a few places(again that shouldn't be too much of a concern but since I seem to keep getting screwed over by webhosts it is important to me that I maintain portability)

I agree. Although Firebird (aka Borland Interbase) is a great db engine, its not supported at most web hosts so I would not use it unless 1) needed something free and 2) was running on my own servers (hosting my own site or colocating).

yorri said:
I for one am happy to use MS Sql and since the latest MYSQL now offers some of the features that I consider vital (stored procs etc) I don't see much use for anything else...beyond these 2 I guess it would be the preference of the developer.

I would also only want to use a db server that I could transport somewhere else (if that need ever arises). I would hate to spend all my time learning and developing on a platform that one could only use in a few places(again that shouldn't be too much of a concern but since I seem to keep getting screwed over by webhosts it is important to me that I maintain portability)

Back