FORGED_MUA_OUTLOOK issue

cnisvcs

Perch
A few months ago I noticed increased amount of false positives in the correspondence with my clients, mainly with those hosted with Jodo. It got to the point where my clients became annoyed by this. At tfirst I suggested whitelisting, but after some googling around I found out that the issue is caused by Outlook Express. Apparently after installing Win SP3 Outlook creates the message headers in a way that trips the FORGED_MUA_OUTLOOK flag in SpamAssasin. SpamAssasin wiki recommends the upgrade of SpamAssasin or changing the weight number for that flag in the file 50_scores.cf (http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FORGED_MUA_OUTLOOK).

I am posting this for once to see whether I am the isolated (nut)case or perhaps this is more common issue.

Secondly, I would like to ask Jodo support if there is something they could do to resolve this issue.

I'd like to add, that I decided to stay with Outlook Express, as it has never failed me for over 10 years now. I just keep moving mailboxes from computer to computer when the time for the upgrade comes. I made a conscious decision not to upgrade to Vista, so I won't migrate to Windows Mail. I can move to the Thunderbird, but it will resolve only part of the problem: emails sent by myself. There are still many out-there using Outlook Express.

That page is about an old version and dated 2005. Hsphere daily downloads updated spamassassin updates containing 50_scores.cf.

Tanmaya, with all due respect to SpamAssasin, I don't question the quality of its operation. I guess I am pointing out that all legit messages sent from Outlook Express in Windows XP with SP3 to any malibox on Jodo are slapped with FORGED_MUA_OUTLOOK flag, which has a weight of 4.2. All mailboxes with spam set to "aggressive" automatically receive it as a spam. That, in my eyes, poses an issue. Just checking whether I am the only one that has this problem, and perhaps there is something else that can be done besides changing the email agent.

Are you seeing this on emails you send to emails accounts hosted here?
If yes, can you provide me a sample spam report and headers?

Back