Front Page Dec 1st.

On Dec. 1st if their are still sites running Front Page do they just go down and no longer assesible. What if a Designer has not updated things yet on thier end, I had someone ask.

The sites will still run according to MS, but any email forms will quit and the publishing features will no longer work.

It is only Linux servers that will lose Frontpage support in Hsphere, correct?

I would have thought that many users may find that moving to a Windows account a suitable alternative to changing a lot of their code, though moving accounts isn't without its problems either.

The sites will still run according to MS, but any email forms will quit and the publishing features will no longer work.

Stephen,

Does this include any FP websites on Windows Servers? The email I got from you guys said Linux only. Is that correct?

The MS website says that they are not dropping FP extension support on Windows and Unix servers.

Can you clear this up for me once and for all?

Thanks!

MS IS dropping FP support on Unix, in fact they did on June 30, 2006. Windows is safe for now, and MS is still supporting but not really updating the windows extensions.

No subwebs don't work well at all and cause many permissions problems. It doesnt matter if created with FP client or the web admin.

Stephen, thanks for answering my question about Windows support.

Also, I was unaware that subwebs don't work even if you set them up with web admin! I have only setup one subweb to date, but have never really finished it. I guess it's good to know that I probably shouldn't, since it may cause problems.

If I know MS though, it is probably only a matter of time before they stop supporting FP extensions on Windows. I'm sure that they want "everyone" to purchase their new "Expressions" program as soon as the real deal is available. That would pretty much force everyone to buy it if they had several FP webs to support.

I should probably start to make changes to those sites now and avoid any future problems. The only thing that will be a problem now though is convincing all of my FP customers to pay for the needed site alterations. Many of them already had their sites built when they came to us for hosting.

I wish I knew if the new MS Expressions program is going to require any kind of extensions to operate or is going to have any MS proprietary code functionality. If it is, I will be sure to tell my existing and future clients to stay away from it. I don?t need to have to deal with all of this again in the future!

Anyway, thanks again for your reply Stephen.

Front Page Extensions have always been out of web standards. The best thing Microsoft has done is to move away from the extensions. Basically Expressions is a CSS based designer. It will follow web standards (or so they say). No FP Bots or non-standard server side processing. FINALLY! Expressions might actually be a decent program.

Hi, a month late on this post but needed to put my 2cents worth in.

Expressions is GREAT!!! I waited with eger anticipation for FP2003 but VERY dissapointed. VERY limited support for .NET and still messy HTML. In Expressions they have listened to designers and made life much easier when working with .NET (2.0) W3C compatibility is so good that we are now looking at going over all our previous sites with Expressions so we can give them a nice W3C stamp. The was it does CSS is just no comparison to FP2003. I've been using the beta for about a month without m,any issues at all. FTP is still very slow though like FP2003.

(note to MS: after the above praise, please give me a good discount on the release version of Expressions)

Hi, a month late on this post but needed to put my 2cents worth in.

Expressions is GREAT!!! I waited with eger anticipation for FP2003 but VERY dissapointed. VERY limited support for .NET and still messy HTML. In Expressions they have listened to designers and made life much easier when working with .NET (2.0) W3C compatibility is so good that we are now looking at going over all our previous sites with Expressions so we can give them a nice W3C stamp. The was it does CSS is just no comparison to FP2003. I've been using the beta for about a month without m,any issues at all. FTP is still very slow though like FP2003.

(note to MS: after the above praise, please give me a good discount on the release version of Expressions)

Expression rocks! When the whole suite is released MS will no longer be needing to catch up to Dreamweaver..it will be the other way around.

I think there is an upgrade path you can take from FrontPage to Expression Web..that is somewhere around $89.00? on Amazon. Shipping late December. There are some people that are using timed trials right now of Expression (more than the beta)..and the feedback is very encouraging.

FTP is still very slow though like FP2003.

The only thing I will miss is being able to edit a site live! FTP is OK, but will never be as good as live editing. I'm sure that all of the other great design features will make up for it though. I've actually gotten used to hand coding sites for the last year or two, but it will be nice for speeding things up a bit.

What is the full version retail price going to be? Anyone know?

I hand code also. Be nice to speed things up but I also like the challenge handcoding :tongue:, it also helps learning and staying updated.

I hand code also. Be nice to speed things up but I also like the challenge handcoding :tongue:, it also helps learning and staying updated.

Automation is a good thing if you start to fall behind on your projects, but I agree, handcoding is a lot more fun! You can write code much cleaner than the proprietary code you get with FP or DW. And, if you?re not careful, you can grow dependent on those programs and start to get lazy!:sleep:

The only thing I will miss is being able to edit a site live! FTP is OK, but will never be as good as live editing. I'm sure that all of the other great design features will make up for it though. I've actually gotten used to hand coding sites for the last year or two, but it will be nice for speeding things up a bit.

What is the full version retail price going to be? Anyone know?

Here's some information on pricing for Expression Web:

http://by-expression.com/

The other two parts (Graphic Designer and Interactive Designer) are a little further behind and I don't believe there is any pricing yet on those.

Web bots that were created with FrontPage (the code as bloated and non standards compliant as it is) will continue to function in Expression..however nearly everything that FrontPage had to create these will be gone. Things like photo galleries, nav bars, etc.

I haven't created a form yet using Expression, but form components from the HTML side like text boxes, check boxes, radio buttons, etc. will be there. Processing of forms though will in may cases be done via asp.net tools server side. (This is really a good thing..using mailto: as an example in FrontPage forms processing is nothing but a spam magnet)

Microsoft is really trying to make Expression a very good tool for designers and developers and trying very hard to comply with standards....but to get the most out of it you probably want to go the asp.net route.

One thing from a design point of view is the way Expression handles .css is outstanding! No more deprecated font tags in a zillion places! :D

Hey InTheMarket,

Thanks for the link! $299 is not a bad price at all considering the cost of higher end programs out there. I guess it would be worth it if I needed to speed things up a bit.

One possibility to consider for saving a little cash. If you can get a licensed full version of FrontPage on the cheap... eBay maybe? You could use that as a qualifying product to upgrade to Expression for approximately $90.00

Back