Frontpage prb - can't connect to site

antic

Perch
Hi all... yes another Frontpage question. :) I'd rather not use it, but this important client has several sites running with Frontpage and I said "yes I support Frontpage", so....

I have downloaded all the files and folder from their old host, and uploaded them to the Jodo account. Frontpage extensions are enabled for all sites, and I've tried turning it off and on, "fixing" it, "tuning" it and swearing at it a few times, all to no avail.

Also posted a ticket, but no reply in a while and I need to get this fixed, so I hereby kneel before the forum altar to pray to the spirits of jodohost. :)

I'm using FP 2003 and encountering a couple of problems:

1. When I try to open a page on the site in FP (using File/Open) and enter the domain name, it comes back saying "Documents in this folder are not available. The folder may be moved or deleted, or network problems may be preventing a connection to the server." I can browse the site and connect with FTP no probs.

2. If I try to Import the site (using File/Import) and select the option Frontpage Server Extensions and enter the domain name, it comes back saying "You are unable to import a site from http://www.etc.etc. Verify the location and try again." No amount of verifying the location helps. :)

Basically, I have NO IDEA how to connect with FP to the site after I've uploaded the files. It's doing my head in... why can't I connect?

Thanks for any help!

Ok, I got it sorted. Frontpage is so bloody temperamental. :) Basically had to just delete all files on the server and re-publish the site from scratch.

Also I also found that if you work with multiple sites, you should always close Frontpage completely and restart it if you want to open a different site. It seems to get confused with the connections. Errors will appear saying you can't connect, until you close Frontpage completely and reopen it.

Whew.. never again. :)

wow... a die hard frontpage client, eh? i'd try my hardest to convince this client to let you move away from frontpage and frontpage server extensions... :)

I have a couple of clients who use Frontpage exclusively. I've found the best way to connect from it is to set up an http web folder first (from Windows 'Network Places') then 'Open web' from Frontpage. Provided the web folder sets up properly in the first place, which it doesn't always do, Frontpage seems to connect without much problem. It doesn't seem to like FTP much.

Good luck getting the web folders to set up correctly, though. If it asks for a username and password first time you try it, it's usually okay. If not...

I agree it is in the initial setup of using FrontPage that a problem is most likely to occur. If you cannot open or publish the web via http:// then usually all it takes is to uninstall/and reinstall the extensions. Be aware though that if you do this and the web already exists certain information like will be lost. The control panel will prompt you about this though. You should also tune the extensions as well. The entire process takes about 10 to 15 seconds.

After that never use ftp unless you are familiar with how Frontpage works..including subwebs among other things..or chances are you will hose the extensions again.

I have been told that HSPHERE and JodoHost don't support FP subwebs anyway which is a bit of an annoyance.

Hsphere will overwrite subweb settings, adn FP will overwrite the IIS settings, causing sites on the whole fp subweb and main fp enabled site to go down asking for user/password, because it changes IIS config to use the anonymous user for everything!

Stephen said:
Hsphere will overwrite subweb settings, adn FP will overwrite the IIS settings, causing sites on the whole fp subweb and main fp enabled site to go down asking for user/password, because it changes IIS config to use the anonymous user for everything!
That sounds similar to the issue I was having - main root FP account was fine but subwebs ended up being WIDE OPEN for editing - anyone could connect from FrontPage as an administrator.

An annoyance non-the-less however, having been impressed with JodoHost since I started demoing their services this summer, have found work arounds for any issues.

Hi Guys,

I am confused about the subweb question..I have several subwebs that I have setup and do not have a problem with them (or the main web they are a part of) Could it depend upon how they are created? As an example a couple of totally different methods would be:

1. Create a folder in your root web..and right click on it and convert it to a subweb.

2. Create a totally separate web locally and publish it as a subweb. As an exmple..if your existing FrontPage domain was mysite.com and you created a new web locally in FrontPage called newweb and then published it to http://www.mysite.com/newweb FrontPage would come back saying something like "A web does not exist at mysite.com/newweb would you like FrontPage to create one?" And if you click yes..it should create it and then publish it.

Or is it that you are saying that subwebs will be hosed if you do a repair or uninstall/reinstall of the extensions?

Penhall said:
That sounds similar to the issue I was having - main root FP account was fine but subwebs ended up being WIDE OPEN for editing - anyone could connect from FrontPage as an administrator.

Yep George I just tested that out on a subweb..and could get in without being challenged for username and password. That would be a concern..luckily I don't have any data I am overly worried about in any subweb I have...I will convert them back to root web folders though.

InTheMarket said:
Yep George I just tested that out on a subweb..and could get in without being challenged for username and password. That would be a concern..luckily I don't have any data I am overly worried about in any subweb I have...I will convert them back to root web folders though.

Yup, I'm glad a discovered that fact accidently before someone else did. :rolleyes:

Internet is a small place eh? Good to see you again Joe.

Good to see you as well George! :D Probably should have been sooner..but I first stopped off at another H-Sphere host...that went in the tank. (I won't name them here though LOL! )

Stephen and all the folks here at Jodo have been great!

I had originally looked at JodoHost last year when I needed another server for a bunch of my sites but unfortunately chose another provider for them. Now that I've been using JodoHost for that bunch of sites now I'm preparing to bring my primary domain over too. (big move - psychologically anyway as I've been with that provider for about 5 years)

I actually use FP some, but use the FTP publishing method, it is rock solid and I never have any issue at all, and the FP code when working that way comes out very clean.

Stephen said:
I actually use FP some, but use the FTP publishing method, it is rock solid and I never have any issue at all, and the FP code when working that way comes out very clean.

I did find that FP 2003 was a huge improvement in not adding garbage code. One of the reasons that I use FP is that I can remote edit files live on the server with ease especially when travelling. I do much of my asp work in the code window anyway. Really have to get off my butt and move on to ASP.NET 2.0 which is making me explore other editors so who knows - may have to put FP on the shelf.

The next 12 months will be bringing many new "toys" with regards to web development....Scorecards and Programs might be necessary! :D

Back