FTP: 530 User <xxx> cannot log in, home directory inaccessible.

Hi,

I am new to VPS so please bear with me. I have set up an FTP server with the built-in IIS FTP service. Whenever I log in, I get the following error message:

FTP: 530 User xxx cannot log in, home directory inaccessible.

I have checked the FTP home directory and made sure the user has permissions but without success. I have also tried different users including administrator but that didn't work either.

Does anybody have experience with this issue?

Thanks

Hans

Did you make a virtual directory in the default FTP site?

We can also help you in more detail on a ticket, you have sent one befor ethe vps was ready, feel free to use it for other support :)

Stephen,
Thanks for the response. Creating a virtual directory didn't help but I decided to reinstall the FTP service and try again with the default settings. And now I can log in :)

But there is another problem: When I enter "ls" to get a directory listing, after about one minute the server will return "Connection closed by remote host". A Google search showed that this is most likely related to a router/NAT/firewall problem. My machine is behind a router but I have never had any problems to connect to my shared hosting (here at Jodohost) FTP account. That makes me think it's a server problem.

Any thoughts? I can submit a ticket if you prefer but I think other people will run into the same problem and they might benefit from this thread.

Hans

I have run the script on the server but still the same result when I type "ls": Connection closed by remote host

I have checked the firewall settings and the ports from 5000-5500 are open.

It would be best to take this to ticke tto find what the issue is, this can be helpful for someone as it is now, but I don't know the answer without further review.

Stephen,
Thanks for the response. Creating a virtual directory didn't help but I decided to reinstall the FTP service and try again with the default settings. And now I can log in :)

i have same your problem !!!
can you talk step by step to do ....
i'm " reinstall the FTP service and try again with the default settings " same you , and test with FTP Server is:

+ FTP Publishing Service 6.0
+ Gene6 FTP Server 3.10.0.2

it still problem

More :
+ I can login ftp ( by web browser or ftp soft is same ) if I stay at Server , and can't login at every clients ( or remote clients ).
+ Before this error , i can login everywhere if use IP LAN for all domains and after use IP WAN for all domain is show this error
my Yahoo ID: avnkhanh
thanks !!!

this is cuased by the firewall in most cases, you need to restrict the port range of passive FTP, and then open those ports in the firewall.

this is cuased by the firewall in most cases, you need to restrict the port range of passive FTP, and then open those ports in the firewall.

Port or port range for passive FTP mode connections *: (default value: 1025-5000)

what need i do ???
thanks very much , i haven't firewall ( switched off )

it alway alert : "530 User maitho cannot log in, home directory inaccessible"

i'm waiting here ... pls ! help me

thanks agian !

Back