FTP server timeout..

A message I got from a client:

Hey Brent, can you change the timeout on the FTP server, I can't upload
anything that takes over 120 seconds, or I get a disconnect.

This doesn't have anything to do with the FTP server timeout, right?

The client is on Win4. I'm guessing this has something to do with his ftp client, his connection, or something else not server related.

I just want to be sure before I reply.

Thanks,

Brent

A timeout happens when the FTP client receives no response from the server for over 2 minutes. It doesn't happen if the upload is taking more than 2 minutes

I do not believe there is any issue from our FTP server on Win4. It may be with the customer's connection or ISP. No other customer has complained to us about such an issue
But nevertheless, you can submit a ticket with the ftp login details and one of the techs will test it himself

I transferred this guys site myself from my other reseller host. I uploaded a few files that took almost an hour. I had no problem then. I'll perform a test ftp upload to his site and see what happens.

Thanks for the quick reply Yash,

Brent

I think the Microsoft FTP server wants to see NOOP commands every so often even while in the process of a transfer. Most servers don't require this, and I think it's actually against the FTP RFC..

Most clients however send the NOOP. Ask him what client he's using and suggest he switches to a better one :)

I should have replied to this because it's kind of funny. There was nothing wrong with the ftp server or the client he was using.

After taking a look around at his account, I noticed that he had used 197.5 out of his 200 MB disk space quota. That's why he thought it was 'timing out' on his large file.

Simple error.

Back