Googlebot Can't Access Your Site

dman

Perch
Hello,

I've received two emails from Google Webmaster Tools stating the following for two different sites:
Over the last 24 hours, Googlebot encountered 1 errors while attempting to retrieve DNS information for your site. The overall error rate for DNS queries for your site is 50.0%. You can see more details about these errors in Webmaster Tools.

Suggestions to fix this include checking the WHOIS records and DNS. I have done this and everything generally seems fine but there are a few lookups that took 128 ms to resolve where all the others are 3-17 ms.

The other suggestion from Google, which may be related to the higher response times, is as follows:
The most likely explanation is that your nameserver is overloaded. Contact your hosting provider and discuss the configuration of your DNS server and the possibility of allocating more resources to your DNS service.

Can someone verify that DNS server is not overloaded and causing this issue? Thanks!

DNS servers respond well, there certainly isn't any overload, in fact the dns servers are mostly idle all the time, the dns work on them is hardly a stress.

It sounds as if their may be some dns error in your config however, have you run it by intodns.com for a report to ensure all is pointing and responding properly?

Thanks for the reply Stephen! Maybe this is just a random glitch or a new service at Google? I have never received these emails before in the 15 years I've been reselling hosting so it's new to me. I've gotten 3 of these emails now. Two are for the same domain (www and no www) that are forwarding to other domains so this could be the issue. The other is the only for the non-www version which could be the cause. I think Google WMT created the non-www versions and I set the default domain to use www. Below is the full message.

Over the last 24 hours, Googlebot encountered 1 errors while attempting to retrieve DNS information for your site. The overall error rate for DNS queries for your site is 50.0%. You can see more details about these errors in Webmaster Tools.

Recommended action
If the site error rate is 100%:
  • Use a WHOIS tool to verify that http://domain.com/ has a proper whois record and that nameservers are configured for the site. If not, contact your domain registrar to update your whois records.
  • Using a DNS lookup tool, verify that the nameserver's name can be resolved to an IP address. If not, either update your whois record to contain an IP address for your nameserver, or update the DNS records for nameserver.
  • Using a DNS lookup tool, verify that http://domain.com/ can be resolved to an IP address. If it can't, update the DNS record for http://domain.com/ on your nameserver.
If the site error rate is less than 100%:
  • The most likely explanation is that your nameserver is overloaded. Contact your hosting provider and discuss the configuration of your DNS server and the possibility of allocating more resources to your DNS service.
After you think you've fixed the problem, use Fetch as Google to verify that Googlebot can properly access your site.

Back