Hosting a subdomain remotely.

Sorry if this is stupid but I have no idea how to do this.

I have the need to create a subdomain which will contain 3rd party content.
So,I have example.com, and I need to have 3rdpartylibrary.example.com, and the content of 3rdpartylibrary.example.com will be totally managed outsite of my website, this content will not be under my control. The content of this subdomain will be on a 3rd party server among with others partners of the licensees of this library.

I started by creating the subdomain, now what ?

Delete the sub domain.
Click on your domain from your control panel. Click on "Edit" next to DNS Settings.

From there, you can insert an A record or CNAME record to your external server for this sub domain

fischermx: I started by creating the subdomain, now what ?

Yash: Delete the sub domain.

The obvious next step! :)

Sorry for my ignorance, but I really have no idea, and now it's the time that I need this done.
They give an address something like "subd.theirsite.com" and they told me :
"All you need to do is set up the subdomain: 'yoursubdomain.yourdomain.com' on your end and point it to 'oursubdomain.ourdomain.com' "
Then I asked them "exactly how ?" they told me :
This is a straight DNS issue, no redirecting involved.
Since you guys own the subdomain "yoursubdomain.yourdomain.com", you need to point it to 'oursubdomain.ourdomain.com'

The rest will happen on our end.
We will set up"yoursubdomain.yourdomain.com" as an alias and add it to our list of virtual hosts.

Ok, it seems we're on the same track, but I still having no clue where to start.
Can I open a ticket for this ?

I think the crucial part is that "you need to point it" part. Point it how !?

If would be nice if someone could take the time to do a step-by-step on this... "insert an A or CNAME record" doesn't really qualify. We may be acting as 'hosts' but we're not all familiar with DNS in any shape or form. If Hsphere doesn't have a checkbox for it, then it often requires knowledge we don't all have. If you tell us how to do it, we can type just as well as the next man. (There's an old saying around here: Give a man a fish and he will feed his family for a day. Teach him how to fish, however, and he'll go off for a weekend with a half dozen buddies and ten crates of beer and reappear the following Thursday in Tijuana in the hands of the federales. But I digress..)

I have a similar requirement (I think):
I have a domain on an account hosted at Jodohost on a Windows server, and I want to create a subdomain that is hosted on one of the Linux servers. I can create a separate Linux account with no problem, and create a subdomain, but how do I make that subdomain 'point' to the Linux account? I could do a simple redirect through the Hsphere redirection options, but it seems to me that that's not really what I need. It has to be transparent to the internet user, and all the URLs within the subdomain have to appear as they normally would.

Normally, I would just experiment until I get it right. When DNS is involved, however, it can take 48 hours between tries, and sometimes Hsphere doesn't do what you expect in any case. So clear instructions would be very helpful.

Anyone?

I will make a flash tutorial on this tomorrow, as I am needing to do it for WinVPS users that may want to use our DNS servers anyway.

I have not forgotten this, I am working on it after I get done eating supper in about 1 hour.

I'm looking forward to it. Meanwhile, it's holiday season, and I'm going fishing. Don't forget to take some time off yourself (with your laptop, of course) :)

No need for me to hire someone, I have a lot of experience with this, just have not used since working with JH :) that will hopefully be changing soon. I have 3 more tutorials shot, but not narrated, I will have them up before I go to Vegas for HostingCon.

I used Adobe Captivate.

nice job, stephen. That helps a lot.

so... hosting a subdomain on a different server. I appear to be halfway there. :)

somedomain.com is on a JH Windows server, sub2.reseller.net is on a JH Linux server. What I want to do now is point sub.somedomain.com (which doesn't yet exist) to sub2.reseller.net (which does exist).

Following your demo, I created a Custom CName record that now shows:
Custom CNAME records
sub1.somedomain.com 86400 IN CNAME sub2.reseller.net​

In the browser, typing sub1.somedomain.com now shows the default page of the correct Linux server (the page at http://204.10.105.220), not the default page of sub2.reseller.net.

So it seems I now have to do something on the sub2.reseller.net setup?

you would be best to make an A not a cname

Just point subdomain to 255.255.255.255(real ip please, this wont work), then the web server on the other side should pick it up just fine even if using host headers :)

okay, I can do that now, but I still have to do something on the Linux server side, don't I?
If I change the A record rather than the Cname record, then it will only point to the shared IP of the Linux server, (as it seems to do now anyhow) and the Linux server still won't know what to do with it other than display the default server page.
How do I tell it to point it to sub2.reseller.net?

But all an A record does is point to an IP, which in this case is shared. Either I missed a big step, or it needs to be a dedicated IP, then. Right?

lol :) I did. It doesn't.

I'll PM the details, you can look for yourself and tell me the blindingly obvious part that I'm missing.

At some point, one of us will trip over the heffalump.

Sorry for reviving an oldish thread but I'm have a question about this.

My question is on the "other" end of things.

How do I create "subdomain.example.com" on the other server (This is a jodo unix server) when "example.com" is hosted on a jodo windows server?

Basically I setup a unix plan, and created an account, but when I try to add "subdomain.example.com" it says

Failed to add Domain subdomain.example.com
Zone subdomain.example.com has been taken.

So what am I doing wrong?

I'm adding the subdomain under the "other domain name registration and transfer" so perhaps that's what's wrong?

Do I instead need to do it under "Third level domain name registration" or something?

Thanks for any help!

Back