how many sites on a vps

cdog

Perch
Just looking for some general feedback on how many static sites could sit comfortably on a win vps with plesk

These would be static websites
VPS would allow cp access and mail services to customers, no DB access.

would be looking at 512 mb ram on vps

Just looking for some general feedback on how many static sites could sit comfortably on a win vps with plesk

These would be static websites
VPS would allow cp access and mail services to customers, no DB access.

would be looking at 512 mb ram on vps

it can do quite a lot of static sites :)
they literally use almost nothing, the issues come when you do php/asp/asp.net and their mail traffic can cause some ram utilization that is high as well.

Thanks Stephen
Have you any ball park figures for dynamic sites that you've seen, say 10 domains mssql/mysql and associated programming technologies, say with medium traffic ?
would you say in dynamic cases its the ram thats most crucial, do you feel 1GB would be a minimum for production scenarios..?

Thanks Stephen
Have you any ball park figures for dynamic sites that you've seen, say 10 domains mssql/mysql and associated programming technologies, say with medium traffic ?
would you say in dynamic cases its the ram thats most crucial, do you feel 1GB would be a minimum for production scenarios..?

we have clients that have 20-40 dynamic sites on a silver vps without issue.
we have clients that have 1 site on a whole server :D

Then static sites you could probably do 60-150 pretty easily depending on mail traffic.

Thanks again Steven
Im one of those clients with 1 site on a vps :D , have another customer running 5 on a silver plan, it tends to use about half the ram allocated to it and hes really happy we got him away from a shared environment

Ive got quite a few static sites with another provider that Im thinking of bringing onto my vps, just wanting to make sure im on the right track

Thanks for the advice

One final thought
Does anyone else get the ssl cert warnings at vps cp login page?
Its not the kind of thing Id like to have appear before hoisting customers, I've reaised a ticket previously but was informed that nothing can be done and I shouldnt worry. Found this answer in another forum about solving the issue, is it possible

"You will most likely need your provider to turn off "offline management" since this is a Win VPS, the Plesk CP is actually being redirected through the service VE."

One final thought
Does anyone else get the ssl cert warnings at vps cp login page?
Its not the kind of thing Id like to have appear before hoisting customers, I've reaised a ticket previously but was informed that nothing can be done and I shouldnt worry. Found this answer in another forum about solving the issue, is it possible

"You will most likely need your provider to turn off "offline management" since this is a Win VPS, the Plesk CP is actually being redirected through the service VE."
that is true, we can turn off offline management but then you lose the virtuozzo power panel to reboot/shutdown and view services, etc

So does that mean that there is no practical way of stopping the certificate errors. ?
I followed the instructions about securing plesk in their docs but the error stayed.

Re: how many sites on a vps-secured cp without errors

Well
I got this working without certificate errors. So it appears that this can be done, time will tell if the solution causes problems elsewhere in the cp though :]

Secured plesk cp without cert warnings

Well
I got this working without certificate errors. So it appears that this can be done, time will tell if the solution causes problems elsewhere in the cp though :]

Back