IIS won't let me assign URL to 403 error

antic

Perch
This is a problem with my ISS set up here on my XP box, which I use for development. I can set a custom error page (URL) for 404 and 405, but when I try to edit 403, the dropdown box only lists "Default" and "File" but not "URL" like the others.

I've had it working in the past - it seems to be an intermittent issue. Just wondering if anyone knows how to reliably make it list URL as an option?

Only lists Default and File:
iis403hi5.gif

Others list URL as well:
iis404ki5.gif

I wonder if this is due to using IIS under Windows XP? Windows XP has an older, more limited version of IIS when compared to Server 2003 that JodoHost runs.

I wonder if this is due to using IIS under Windows XP? Windows XP has an older, more limited version of IIS when compared to Server 2003 that JodoHost runs.

I think that may be it because I just checked 403 and it gives all options for doc type

Interesting. For me, it's trial and error... I finally got it to list "URL" as an option, but it requires some mysterious sequence of assiging a file, going back to default, closing the properties window, etc etc until it magically decides to add URL to the list! Weird.

Windows XP has IIS 5 installed. JodoHost / Windows Server 2003 uses IIS 6 which is much improved.

If you want to test you could always check out the trial versions of Windows Server 2003 and 2008 (which would include IIS) that Microsoft offer. You can usually download it in a virtual environment already setup too.

Also, if you're a student like me, you can get Windows Server 2008 Web Server edition completely free from Microsoft's DreamSpark program. I think you qualify even if you only occasionally take 1 class somewhere; just as long as you can prove you're a current student.

Interesting. For me, it's trial and error... I finally got it to list "URL" as an option, but it requires some mysterious sequence of assiging a file, going back to default, closing the properties window, etc etc until it magically decides to add URL to the list! Weird.

I have a Windows 2003 VPS with Jodo and I couldn't get the URL part to work with error docs in IIS either. I gave up after 3 tries though.

I have a Windows 2003 VPS with Jodo and I couldn't get the URL part to work with error docs in IIS either. I gave up after 3 tries though.

ironically I tested this on a VPS and saw it first time, odd.

I see the option there but it tells me the URL I put in is "not a complete url" or something of that nature.

oh that is a different matter :D

it has to be in the document root and referenced like /folder/errorpage.asp

Back