Installing Magento Commerce without pdo_mysql

stevo

Guppy
Hi,
I'm installing Magento Commerce on one of the newer php5 shared servers and can't get past the following error message:
PHP Extension "pdo_mysql" must be loaded

In contacting resellersupport@jodohost, I have been told that mysqli is installed on the server already and that should suffice for Magento.

I have tried to edit app\etc\config.xml (attached) to use mysqli but I believe it might be more involved than a simple change. The snippet of code I changed was as follows:

<model>mysql4</model>
<initStatements>SET NAMES utf8</initStatements>
<type>pdo_mysql</type>

The site is: http://64.71.235.209/

My options at this point seem to be:
  1. Try to install on PHP4 with the cgi workaround
  2. Move to a host with pdo_mysql
  3. Use VPS so I can install pdo_mysql myself
  4. Make all the changes necessary to xml files to workaround pdo_mysql req's

Does anyone else here have any experience getting Magento working on Jodohost's servers?

Attachments

• config.txt
    12 KB · Views: 735
I am running into the same issue. I've been told that the server has all needed software to run Magento, but the PDO_mysql isn't loaded. As far as I know, this is really just a matter of the driver being activated in the php.ini file, but I don't think we can create custom ini's on the Linux accounts, and Magento requires apache, so I'm hoping I can just get my php.ini file edited, I think it is literally a matter of uncommenting a line, but I'm not sure.

It seemed to be working with cgi-bin php4 workaround, but I was unable to add new products in the admin area. So perhaps, something was wrong with the mysql interaction. Anyhow, that route didn't work.

Jodo has been unresponsive so far. I started an affiliate account with crucialwebhosting and they helped out a lot with the installation. The software is working very well on their servers. If anyone at Jodo is watching, Magento is a very good e-commerce package and should be added to the easy-apps collection as soon as it is fully released. People like us who are testing the beta should have their needs addressed.

Apparently the PDO extension is a bigger deal to start up than I had thought. Alot of folks seem to be having trouble installing Magento in general in part b/c of the requirements. I don't like the idea of using the PHP4 hack. FWIW these guys are specializing in Magento installation:
http://www.crucialwebhost.com/blog/magento-hosting/

Personally, I have had too many good experiences with Jodohost to just pick up and move, but I am curious as to how big a deal it will be to get to the point that we can use Magento. Is it likely, unlikely just a matter of time or what... I suppose I'll just run it locally until then. I was't planning to put it live any time soon anyway.

Back