Invision Portal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamrox

Perch
Hey All,

I was working with Rainbow Portal for a little while now and I want to go to something that is a little faster. When looking around I found this site or portal called http://www.invisionportal.com. Does anyone have any experience with that portal? It is in asp but I here it might be going to asp.net?

How is there support? I went to the site and looked around at the forums and saw some wierd post about people getting thier posted deleted? Which way should I go?

Thanks for the info!!!!

shamrox said:
Hey All,

I was working with Rainbow Portal for a little while now and I want to go to something that is a little faster. When looking around I found this site or portal called http://www.invisionportal.com. Does anyone have any experience with that portal? It is in asp but I here it might be going to asp.net?

How is there support? I went to the site and looked around at the forums and saw some wierd post about people getting thier posted deleted? Which way should I go?

Thanks for the info!!!!

ASP Invision Portal is a good portal with even better mods. The most exciting version has been for quite some time in beta (full release version 2.5 was on 20 December 2002, version 3 is still in beta), but it's getting closer to its release date I hope. As far as customer support is concerned I would like to advise anyone to form their own opinion. It doesn't match jodohost support but it is occasionally very good, and quite a number of forum members (portal user community) are very knowledgeable and helpful. See investing in the portal as an investment in a very good portal community with some very exciting mods (geckolinks mod by Dan Bodenstein is awesome). The product has many good elements (despite its dependence on WWF) otherwise it would never have been able to attract such a good user group. I would recommend to buy the portal and hope that support will increasingly be more like jodohost forums without censorship and with clear professional, useful and respectful answers.

Invision portal seems like a decent product. It could use a few more features. Development is very slow as eko pointed out. Customer support... well I suggest that you to stop by their support forums at www.aspinvision.com and see for yourself. You could buy the product and hope for the best, or you could look at other ASP portal alternatives like www.soopportal.com (it is free and the people there are friendly). There are a bunch listed on www.aspin.com too.

brawney said:
Invision portal seems like a decent product. It could use a few more features. Development is very slow as eko pointed out. Customer support... well I suggest that you to stop by their support forums at www.aspinvision.com and see for yourself. You could buy the product and hope for the best, or you could look at other ASP portal alternatives like www.soopportal.com (it is free and the people there are friendly). There are a bunch listed on www.aspin.com too.

I've no problem with slow development cycles as the upcoming product is far more complex and superior. I did/do advise to buy Asp Invision Portal as mentioned in my earlier post as it's better than the alternatives you mentioned. The only hope I expressed is that together with the development of the product some further investment in support as outlined will be considered.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that some of the features listed on the portal features page (the ones you read before buying) are not available in the current version. Some of those features are only in a version that has been under development for 7 months, isn't released yet, and isn't supported if you decide to try out the beta version.

brawney said:
Another thing I wanted to mention is that some of the features listed on the portal features page (the ones you read before buying) are not available in the current version. Some of those features are only in a version that has been under development for 7 months, isn't released yet, and isn't supported if you decide to try out the beta version.

Everything on the features list for the portal is included. There is no false advertisment. Version 2.5 is no longer being sold. Instead v3 beta 7 is now being sold and when v3 goes final the website will be updated to list all the features the portal has.

The reason for removing v2.5 is everyone is now buying the portal for v3, not v2.5. So there was really no reason to continue selling v2.5

Drew said:
Everything on the features list for the portal is included. There is no false advertisment. Version 2.5 is no longer being sold. Instead v3 beta 7 is now being sold and when v3 goes final the website will be updated to list all the features the portal has.

The reason for removing v2.5 is everyone is now buying the portal for v3, not v2.5. So there was really no reason to continue selling v2.5

Question why are you selling a BETA. I thought a beta basicly means there are bugs and we are working thru them. What you are saying is that the invision portal that I would buy has bugs. I guess that is saying that I should buy a car that I know will break. So why don't I wait till the release is out so I can get more bang for my buck so to say.

shamrox said:
Question why are you selling a BETA. I thought a beta basicly means there are bugs and we are working thru them. What you are saying is that the invision portal that I would buy has bugs. I guess that is saying that I should buy a car that I know will break. So why don't I wait till the release is out so I can get more bang for my buck so to say.

Like i said in the above post. The reason why v3 beta 7 is now being sold is because no one was buying v2.5 to actually use it, everyone starts off with beta 7 since it is allot more advanced and allot more fully functional. Plus right now beta 7 is pretty close to being bug free. Beta 7 will be the last release before final.

i think the invisionportal is amazing!

also the support is good enough for me.. and you cant really expect too much from a nineteen year old that goes to college or whateva..

so keep up the good work Drew!

btw, the portal is now not beta anymore!

I could not take anymore abuse from the author of this product. It is hard to believe that anyone who takes your money would treat you so poorly. My new years resolution is to give up on Invision Portal, stop waiting for a stable release, stop waiting for any respect from the author, and move on.

The author has recently said in a public forum that he is "biting the bullet" and going to start treating people better. Time will tell. But I'm gone anyway.

I think the product looks nice and is probably coded pretty well. This is just my gut feeling on the product. I may be wrong.

I don't know what portal I'm going to switch to. I'd like to stay with Microsoft-centric products (ASP, ASP.NET, MS SQL, etc) but will go to PHP products if necessary. If anyone has a recommendation of a portal product that includes a decent forum message board and is in a final released version (not in beta or alpha test version) please let me know.

DirtBag said:
i think the invisionportal is amazing!

also the support is good enough for me.. and you cant really expect too much from a nineteen year old that goes to college or whateva..

so keep up the good work Drew!

btw, the portal is now not beta anymore!

InvisionPortal has been coded very well. I've seen it handling a decent amount of load without causing any significant rises in memory or CPU usage (unless of course you use an MS Access database)

Yash said:
InvisionPortal has been coded very well. I've seen it handling a decent amount of load without causing any significant rises in memory or CPU usage (unless of course you use an MS Access database)

Thanks Yash. This is interesting news to hear, and of course good news to everyone involved in Invision Portal. It is nice to hear this from you since you know first hand. Thanks!

brawney said:
I could not take anymore abuse from the author of this product. It is hard to believe that anyone who takes your money would treat you so poorly. My new years resolution is to give up on Invision Portal, stop waiting for a stable release, stop waiting for any respect from the author, and move on.

I'm sorry Brawney but i have tryed over and over to help you. No matter what i do, nothing is good enough for you.

You just seem to have one of those personalities that nothing will please you no matter how much someone tryes.

Drew said:
I'm sorry Brawney but i have tryed over and over to help you. No matter what i do, nothing is good enough for you.

You just seem to have one of those personalities that nothing will please you no matter how much someone tryes.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I'm not the only one who has been upset with the support of IP, so I guess there are several of us who are just never happy.

I don't believe that I am as you describe though. I believe that if you poke around the messages here you won't find many messages from me complaining, but instead you will find several that praise Yash and JodoHost and perhaps a few where I try to help people where I can.

And if you are right and I am someone who is never happy, then Yash should be very excited because his service and support seem to make me happy. In that case if Yash can make me happy he is performing miracles. ;)

I think you should do an examination of your own personality before you start trying to figure out mine and other's. A little self reflection may benefit you, your product and your company a great deal.

Brawney i help everyone that i can. All you have to do is post in the Support Forum at my website and i do my best to answer all questions and help people.

I have only seen you post one question in the support forum and i did answer that question. So it looks like you didn't have many problems, or there would be more posts!

i also run the invision portal.. in the support forums there are loads of ppl who knows ip nearly as well as Drew, and they do help you too.. i have never had any problem with the support.. and it doesnt look like other have it either.. and as i said earlier, you cant really expect a 19 year old college student to support you 24/7.. but if you use the customer discussion forum you will probably get help, if not from drew, you will get from someone else..

edit:
i also do run a beta(7.47 or 49 i think it was) and i dont have problems with it at all..

Hey All,

I kind of started this thread to find out exactly this question. As far as Brawney is concerned.....I have had a couple of thread with him and I don't think he is "that" kind of person. He has nothing but good things to say about jodohost, it just seems that he wants a good product at a good price. I have seen your product and I like it but I just wanted to see what everyone else is saying. I kind of posted here because I have noticed when I go to your site post are deleted ever once and while.

DirtBag: As far as this statement "you cant really expect a 19 year old college student to support you 24/7". That is fine but that needs to be posted that this is a 19 year old kid that will have problems supporting every once in a while. I just wanted to know that I was putting my money in a good place.

Thanks everyone for your feedback,

You don't need to be provide 24x7 support to provide good support. JodoHost doesn't provide 24x7 support (although it looks as it does with their response times :) ) and no one has ever complained. I'd give all the credit to Yash and Atul because they really are true professionals with a great deal of experience. I've been with hosting companies who have rude and unprofessional CEO/owners. They treat you like shit. I've exchanged so many PMs and emails with Yash and he really always makes you feel as if you are in control. I got irritated with one of jodo's admins who answered my ticket about 4 or 5 days back. I expressed it an about an hour later Yash wrote back appologizing and giving a point by point answer. These small things really make a great company:)

I've seen some threads related to Drew and the way he responds to questions quite frankly is pathetic at times. I'm not a customer but I'd never buy a product from someone who treats their customers like this. If he deletes threads from his forum, he obviously doesn't respect customer opinion the way JodoHost does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back