IP Justification

Yash - I use dedicated IP's and when I logged into the website you advised, I am told I do not have any. Why?

Also, why would we need to justify existing IP's? Weren't they justified at the time we got them?

Might I also say that 3 days is not really very practicle. I would be most upset if my domains lost their IP's because I hadn't checked the forum or email for a few days...

1) Click on system and you'll get a menu. You then need to add IPs you have used
2) No, they were not
3) Our stated deadline is 3 days. Our unstated deadline is 1 week. But we need them fast because our ISP is troubling us with future IP allotments

What about some of us that were requested to change to dedicted IP after the change to win5, i have reason for 2 of my sites(although not implemented yet) but not the others?

I'm sorry, I may be mistaken but when did we request customers to change to dedicated IPs on Win5?

Fill out the reasons for the 2 of your sites. The faster you can implement the reasons, the better it is.

As for your other sites, if you have no reason for them, I'd recommend you switch to shared IP. To avoid downtime, as soon as you switch to shared, open a ticket with the dedicated IP you were using for this server. We'd bind that IP to the server and keep it active for your site for the next 72 hours in order to ensure a smooth switch-over

Yash said:
I'm sorry, I may be mistaken but when did we request customers to change to dedicated IPs on Win5?

I only remember that you asked for us to change to a dedicated IP on win 5 if we were using shared SSL, which is a valid reason anyhow..

i'll openly admit to not having a clue about shared ssl in totall so just followed instructions, i'll removed everything i dont need, and will even removed dedicated off repcrazy as its something that that isnt used at the moment(but may have been), i just dont want to get into trouble.

The below was what i refering too i must have misunderstood.

Dated: March 13, 2004

We are currently have a number of issues with Shared SSL on Win5 which is an IIS5/Windows2000 server. IIS5 seems to have difficulty in distinguishing between HTTPS packets on the same IP address. Therefore on some ocassions, opening a website using "https" may bring up a site of another customer. This is a very serious issue and it seems it is common with IIS5. IIS6 as such requires a dedicated IP otherwise the site would not operate. We thus request all customers using Shared SSL across all our Windows servers to switch their domain to a dedicated IP within the next 48 hours. If we find a domain that is using Shared SSL on a shared IP, we'll be forced to manually switch it for you.

Resellers are requested to pass this message on to their customers

Just click on your domain from the control panel and click "Change to Shared IP"

You don't have to do this immediately, you may want to choose a period when there is low activity at your website.

Thanks Yash,
All the other sites are sorted, i will do Repcrazy this evening to avoid disruptions, my own fault it was an idea i never carried through on and would be impossible to set up in a week,lol. plus start up costs, which i have to say are lacking.
Never mind, just one of those things.

why are IPs in short supply? I thought IPv6 were introduced some years ago because the 4 were almost filled up

anonymous FTP is a valid reason right? I may also use Shared SSL/SSL too later

DirtBag said:
why are IPs in short supply? I thought IPv6 were introduced some years ago because the 4 were almost filled up

IPv6 isn't used much yet, at least not at an end user level. My ISP doesn't provide me with an IPv6 address yet and a LOT of software doesn't support it yet.

Right now it's supported at OS level and network equipment level, but support beyond that is very thin :(

PS: A VPS server is sufficient justification I hope? I was beginning to like my voice-over-ip server thingy :)

of course, use the other field :)

RIght now the system isn't setup for resellers.. when it is an announcement will be made

Resellers will be able to provide this interface to their customers through ipdatabase.theirdomain.com

Yash said:
of course, use the other field :)

Ok, I already did that :)

Yash said:
Resellers will be able to provide this interface to their customers through ipdatabase.theirdomain.com

Luckily I don't have any customers using dedicated IPs at the moment. I filled in the DNS servers and my VPS server for now, if the procedure changes when the system is adapted for resellers I'll see if it needs changing ;)

Yash,
Right now I have 2 domains I had set to fixed IPs, anticipating the need to use Shared SSL. Unfortunately, I encountered MAJOR problems when I tried to implement the Shared SSL because I am on win2. They tried switching me to win6, but even MORE problems were encountered, so I opted to do without SSL for now. I've been told the script problems that occurred when trying to switch me to win6 have been fixed, but I cannot take the risk right now as I have a demo site running for some clients and I cannot afford to have it go down or be redirected to the wrong website again.

So my main question is, if I revert my 2 fixed IP domains back to shared, will I be able to go back to fixed IP once I am ready to take the chance and move my sites to win6 and use shared SSL?

No, keep your dedicated IPs, as soon as you are ready for a shift, open a ticket to support. It would be ideal if you can request it in the next 7 days

The transfer script is working great, you'll not have any problems with that. There was an issue with the HSphere transfer module, it contained out-dated code.

SubSpace said:
IPv6 isn't used much yet, at least not at an end user level. My ISP doesn't provide me with an IPv6 address yet and a LOT of software doesn't support it yet.

Right now it's supported at OS level and network equipment level, but support beyond that is very thin :(

I have the ability to use IPv6 on my cell phone/PDA :) Sony Ericsson P800 R2F
but I'm not sure if my ISP provides me with a 4 or 6 IP though

Back