is traffic realtime?

yorri

Perch
Is traffic (mail or ftp or http) measured realtime?

Is there somewhere I can read how this is calculated. IF ot could you briefly explain if you have the time.

My domain finally got updated so I had some mail come in and the mail traffic says 22KB but the sum of my mail is larger than 22KB.

I would like to understand how this all works :)

Also...Hsphere says that once a day it polls mail, webspace and database to calculate summary disk space. Is this only calculated once a day..if yes, when?

Yes, traffic is measured realtime. It just adds up all web, mail and ftp transfer. 9GB is alot by any standards. Think you are getting a little too worried about that.

As for summary disk usage, it is done randomely anytime of the day.

Actually I am not worried right now about how much is being used. I don't generate much traffic, at least right now. but I sometimes generate a lot of mail and I have never had to worry about the quantity before because I have never been with a host that monitors email traffic or ftp traffic for that matter.

This is very different for me so you have to understand why I have concerns. It's more about the unknown than anything. I never had to worry about most of this stuff before which worries me that is all.

If I know what to expect then I won't be surprised in the future.

I am reading some stuff on the hphere site...I think it is helping me understand how hpshere does these things.

I found an explanation chart about how it charges and manages summary disk space so I understand that now and feel comfortable with that.

Now if I could only feel the same about traffic.

well, you are covered by a 30-day money back guarantee. So if you use more than the amount given to you (which i really doubt), you could just cancel your account and get a refund instead of paying for the extra bandwidth

The customers who even come close to using the amount given to them are those who have alot of flash content and get about 5000 visitors a day

I just don't understand why it says 22K when I had more than 22K of mail come through.

If I understand correctly..it monitors incoming and outgoing so if I have 30KB of mail that should make the traffic 60K(30 in and 30 out) no???

Originally posted by yorri
I just don't understand why it says 22K when I had more than 22K of mail come through.

If I understand correctly..it monitors incoming and outgoing so if I have 30KB of mail that should make the traffic 60K(30 in and 30 out) no???

I checked this out. It does monitor incoming and outgoing email but does not count transfer used to download email.

Back