Jodohost - The Pople(')s Host

DirtBag

Perch
Jodohost - The People(')s Host

In Jodohosts logo, it says "The people's Host" after what i think i have learned at school it should be "The Peoples Host" without the ' "thing"..

but im not sure, im just a 16 years old boy from norway, so could someone tell me whats right and whats wrong?

(Yash said i should make a thread here to clear this up, cuz none of us knew:) )

EDIT: the smilie was wrong because i wrote ) after it without a space...
EDIT2: forgot e i people in the topic name
EDIT3: found that i couldnt edit the topic name.. if an Admin reads this, you could do it :)

Re: Jodohost - The People(')s Host

I think it should be "The People's Host", the way it is used now. "people" is always in its plural form (you can't say : "that people over there" pointing to one person, but it always points to multiple persons).
That's way it is "The People's Host": <the people 'his' host>...

My 2 (Belgian) cents ...

PS : Dirtbag : where in Norway do you come from?

Norway sucks(not at all points)

but now lets stop talking about norway..
btw, isnt Niels a danish name?

It surely isn't Norwegian, the Norwegian form of Niels is Nils I think... Could be Danish, probably derived from Saint Nicolas (the good old man who brings presents to all children on december 6th in Belgium :D )

Regards,
Niels

this is really off topic, but who cares

ya the norwegian is Nils.. and i think Niels is Danish..

yo.. i talked with an english guy and he said it should be People's.. so sorry bout this..

but hell, its not always easy to be norwegian in this big english world :p

DirtBag said:
yo.. i talked with an english guy and he said it should be People's.. so sorry bout this..

but hell, its not always easy to be norwegian in this big english world :p

From another English guy... it definately should be People's, as 'people' is considered a collective or plural noun. Adding an 's' would not make the word plural, and you can't make it posessive by adding the apostrophe after the 's', because people is already plural.

And my wife agrees. Not that the woman is ever right by default, but mine happens to have her masters in English. Quite an acheivement for an American! :p

Yash said:
Let me know what you think about "Making Technology affordable" as well :)

Can't argue with that one :D Except if you're going to capitalize the 'T' for technology, then 'A' for affordable also needs to be capitalized. ;) (according to the wife, anyhow) 8o

DirtBag said:
looks like wives (that's how it's spelled right? with v, not f?) is good to have!

sorry, that really should read 'my wife' - just my Yorkshire accent shining through. wives would be plural. that is not allowed in either Britain or the USA!! (most states, that is...)

But to answer your question. Yes! :D

LegalAlien said:
sorry, that really should read 'my wife' - just my Yorkshire accent shining through. wives would be plural. that is not allowed in either Britain or the USA!! (most states, that is...)

But to answer your question. Yes! :D

ehmm.. I didn't understand that not allowed part........... ?(

DirtBag said:
ehmm.. I didn't understand that not allowed part........... ?(

One man one woman - a man is only allowed one wife, that's all. I was saying that since you had confused wife with wives - suggesting that I may have more than one wife!!

Not a bad idea, but it's illegal - in most states. Sorry for being unclear!

LegalAlien said:
wives would be plural. that is not allowed in either Britain or the USA!! (most states, that is...)

I believe it depends on your religion, at least in the US. At least I once read that if your religion says it's ok to have 4 wives, they allow for it legally.

Supposedly it has tobe a relatively mainstream religion though, too bad, or you could start your own for the purpose :p

(Not that I'd want to, nor do I live in the US)

Actually, it should be: "The Peoples' Host" if you are refering to many people. However, I think you are correct in saying The People's Host because you are using "The People" to represent a group in singular form. However, in general if you're placing possession on a plural noun ending in S, you must use a ' at the end.
If you're trying to show possession on a plural noun, so instead of placing a 's at the end, you simply place a ' at the end. Examples are:
The Peoples's Host (wrong, in singular form)
The People's Host (right, but not plural anymore)
The Peoples Host (wrong, no possession)
The Peoples' Host (right, plural and possessive)
Our programmers' reference books (right, plural and possessive)
Other examples:
Singular nouns ending in S may form the possessive either by an apostrophe or by 'S. Whichever way you do it, be consistent:
A waitress' uniform, an actress' career.
A waitress's uniform, an actress's career.
Possessive case of singular nouns NOT ending in S:
JodoHost's servers.
With coordinate nouns, the last noun takes the possessive form:
Dave and Yash's famous website.
The show individual possession with coordinate nouns, each noun should take the possessive form:
The difference between Dave's and Yash's websites are...
-Dave

WineIsGood said:
Actually, it should be: "The Peoples' Host" if you are refering to many people. However, I think you are correct in saying The People's Host because you are using "The People" to represent a group in singular form.

Right on!
And power to the people's'es'.

riley

Back