MailEnable and MEFILTER.exe

PLESK comes default with MailEnable Standard installed. That version does not come with any outgoing spam or virus filtering. ME Pro (an upgrade that is not recommended for PLESK by many at the SWSoft and ME forums) offers the option to integrate ME-FILTER.

However, it appears that the default config of the winVPS to which I was handed the keys by Jodohost has the MTA agent set up default to run the MEFILTER after pickup -- except, of course, it can't because it's only the standard edition, and MEFILTER.exe is nowhere on the server -- so my MTA log is full of this: "ME-MTA-022: Antivirus and other filters were bypassed because you are not licensed to use them"

I can't figure out how this all plays with Spamassassin, which of course *is* active on our default PLESK setup. Would this be an additional layer of filtering, is MEFILTER redundant because we have spamassassin -- and if so, why was it set to run (but not installed) as a default in the first place?

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Hrm, I have seen the filter process running on VPSes more than once, swsoft said to us they use it for filtering, the process name for it is memailfilter.exe

Back