Monitor Server Response More Closely

devorem

Perch
I had an incident last night that was rather frustrating. My company web site and a web site of one of my clients are on Win6. Last night, they were effectively down. Both sites are dependent on ASP and Access databases. Either ASP or the Jet database engine were hung up. I was able to access static HTML web pages on Win6.

My suggestion is that Jodohost monitor the web servers in a more in-depth manner. I must admit, I do not know what methods they use to check the servers, but I do know that my site was not properly responding from 6:51PM until I came home and submitted a ticket a little after midnight (over 5 hours). Perhaps they are simply checking HTTP, which was not down.

In the end, I submitted my ticket at 12:20AM and got a response that it was fixed at 2:32AM. For me, this was certainly not peak business time, but it was nevertheless frustrating.
Ticket #37573.

Any chance that you could set your server checking system to check the following in addition to whatever you already check?
a simple ASP page on each server
a page that does a simple query on an Access database on each server

devorem, I read your ticket and I'm already looking into what happened on Win6

But I would like to say one thing, ASP on Win6 was most definately not down for 5 hours. if we have an outage of that sort, this forum would be flooded with complaints and so would our ticket system.

The Jet driver had intermittent problems on that server during that period. We have a total of 3 tickets regarding the problem and the total outage was about 55 minutes according to our server logs.

You got a late response, but the problem was fixed before that. We do have software under development to monitor ASP and ASP.NET

I'd like to point out that we have put in a tremendous effort into controllong this ASP/ASP.NET crashes that use to happen on our servers and the number have come down sharply (on a majority of the servers) and those that happen, are investigated.

Back