MSSQL noobie needs some help plz.

bigbuda

Guppy
Hi, I have been using MSACCESS forever now. but now I have decided to move to MSSQL to get rid of the problematic ACCESS. It is very different from MSACCESS. I am clueless about the whole setup process.

So far what I have done:

1. Created a MSSQL Login and password in Hsphere.

2. I have SQL SERVER 2005 Express Edition installed on my computer.

3. I have set up datasource in Coldfusion Admin after much googling and time.

4. I have exported MSACCESS tables into my local SQL Server, all data is in SQL Server now.

At this point, I am not sure what to do now. I thought I should get a SQL server name and port from Jodo Host for my SQL server Express to connect to. Is that correct? Jodo provides SQL Server 2000 and I have SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, will that be a problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Steps:-
1. Create a MSSQL DB from your HSphere
2. Create a ODBC DSN from your HSphere
3. Create a backup of your database ( But make sure that the db versions are same) cross versions creates problems.
i.e if you have local db as mssql2005 then ask for mssql 2005 db with us. or you can import you access db to mssql2000 and then create a backup file (.bak)
4. Open up a ticket with us mentioning the DB name , domain name and the path to your backup file. Also mention the DSN name you created using the HSphere, so if any issues in connectivity we can check.

That is all and you will have your problem sorted out.

Thanks for the quick reply.

8o I didn't know mssql2005 is available thought Jodo? I thought jodo only had mssql2000. That's terrific. Is it available for all plans? If so, I will backup my mssql2005 db first then upload.

One more question, pratik, after I done all the steps you said, will I be provided with a servername and login info to connect my mssql2005 express edition to?

MSSQL 2005 is available currently in a limited manner, however you can have a database for 100 Mb, further details about it can be found at

http://support.jodohost.com/general...ed-availability-now.html?highlight=mssql+2005

Question :- Is it available for all plans?

No its not a part of the HSphere CP and it will not be reflected there, as explained in the above post. You shall be charged separately for this.

Question:- will I be provided with a server name and login info to connect my mssql2005 express edition to?

Yes we shall provide you all the details for your new database on mssql2005.

Back