NAP Of Americas Discussion

Yash

Bass
Please discuss here. To begin with I'd like to say that this move was decided more than 2 months back. We will end up paying quite a bit more to maintain our servers in this facility, but we feel that moving to the NAP gives us the best platform to offer unbeatable services to our clients & resellers.

Have you thought about your european customers.
Moving at 4am means 10am in europe wich means business hours. What about emails. Will we lost our emails?

Cost: No we do not plan to charge even though it will costs us quite a lot when compared with existing data center costs.

Move: We can plan it on weekend.

We will post for definantive plans, but the move will be done in such a way that it is just the time it takes to move the server from one datacenter to the other, 5-6 blocks apart, mail systems will cache the sent mail during that time, and resend.

Just for info, not a single IP is changing, not a single server is changing, it is all just being moved to the NAP.

Stephen said:
We will post for definantive plans, but the move will be done in such a way that it is just the time it takes to move the server from one datacenter to the other, 5-6 blocks apart, mail systems will cache the sent mail during that time, and resend.

Just for info, not a single IP is changing, not a single server is changing, it is all just being moved to the NAP.

Will newservers.net be moving as well?
Thanks
Jon

Yash - this all sounds excellent! Does this mean webpages will be faster in England ?

PS - how about a "mirrored" data centre in London ? I've heard that there is a major internet facility somewhere near the Thames.

BluJag,

A mirrored datacenter
(at least outside of the US) would be out of the question, but we are looking into localized hosting with some servers in other locations :)

as long as what happened with my last provider doesn't happen then I'm cool. I think most of the people here know who that was.

I'd also like to put my vote in for a saturday morning move. My last host did their move mid-day on monday and as a result email was down for three days.

Stephen, would you mind keeping us up to date on localized hosting in one of the forums? I'm assuming London is definitely on your list.

Thanks

Stephen said:

It will be extremely important for us to get regular updates prior to it starting, when it starts, while it is going, and when it is finished. From previous hosts we were left almost totally in the dark and could not communicate hardly any truth to our customers. We must be able to give our customers feedback and we will need this from Jodo.

Could you expand a bit on how you will be able to go from one place to the next and have the IPs moved so quickly AND how the incoming email will be protected.

Thanks

jonyah said:
as long as what happened with my last provider doesn't happen then I'm cool. I think most of the people here know who that was.

I'd also like to put my vote in for a saturday morning move. My last host did their move mid-day on monday and as a result email was down for three days.

Actually Saturday sounds like a good idea..I believe most people have their least traffic on Saturdays. If that is doable from the Jodo end..that would be great!

We always believe in giving updates as much as we can, we won't just leave things for the customer to be guessing.

In fact, I am going to guess we might have a site setup on another server on another network for updates as much as we can through the process, but, still this is just a physical move of the servers from one building to another.

Did not mean to ignore the localized hosting question, that discussion is ongoing in the customers only forum, if you need access I will need a PM with your hsphere username to grant access.

gsaunders said:
Could you expand a bit on how you will be able to go from one place to the next and have the IPs moved so quickly AND how the incoming email will be protected.

Thanks

We'll be transporting the servers from A to B with the help of transport. Datacenter staff will be helping us with the transport (its a very short distance, trust me) and Stephen will be supervising this.

We have already setup a network between the two datacenters via network cables. A wireless network has also been setup between the datacenters as backup. That would ensure that IP address are available immediately when the servers are plugged in at the new datacenter. Once all servers have been shifted, we will be asking InterNap to reroute the IPs to the new destination. Once that has been completed, the network links would be snapped and move would be completed.

We will have a relay mail server setup at the old datacenter to capture incoming email while the actual mail server is offline. When the actual mailserver goes online, the captured email would be piped to it.

Actually NAP of the Americas is the datacenter name, and we sometimes just shorten it to NAP :)

This all sounds wonderful, and congratulations on your new home! I hope the coffee machines are also state of the art for you. :)

I'd just like to know if connectivity to Australia will be affected by the move. Currently pings are around the 250-300ms mark, and it would be a shame if this were to increase. Do you have any idea if it will be better/same/worse in the new DC?

Back