Need a Review Please

hatton

Perch
I'm still working on a few parts of my website, namely the Services and Estimate Request pages but I'd like to get any ideas or suggestions on my site at http://www.ithinkitsnifty.com

I'll start off by saying that I'm not a graphics person and the templates that I used are modified from freebies I found on the 'net. I'm also working on the wording and verbage for the Services page. I intend to build a form for the Estimate Request page, I just ran out of time last night.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Hatton

The site looks pretty good in general.

Here are my suggestions/observations;

1) I am guessing that you're trying to sell a service, rather than building a site about yourself and trying to drum up some business while you're at it. (Although I could be mistaken.) If so, I would suggest moving the "About Hatton" and "My Resume" from the top of the list to the space between "Portfolio" and "Contact Me". The service and options you're providing to support that service should be given top billing.

2) The menu takes up a lot of space considering the size of the buttons in that area. It just looks like a lot of wasted space. White space is good, but in this case it is too much. The buttons look a little lost.

3) Maybe for the Portfolio section you could include a thumbnail of the home page you're linking to. Also, those links should open in another browser window. You don't want potential customers leaving your site to see what you're offering.

4) Although the picture of you and your daughter, and associated wording is cute, it's not very business-like. If you're making a business site then make it a professional site and build yourself a separate personal web site for the other stuff. (We're back to my assumption in point #1.)

5) The bottom of the pages look like they just dropped off, particularly the menu column. The buttons looks suspended in space and ready to fall out of the column. Maybe close the columns the same way that they start at the top.

6) There's something about this line in your About page that doesn't come across very well: "Currently I'm looking for work...". It seems to have a bit of a negative connotation to it. You may want to consider rewording that a bit. Something along the lines of "I'm an experienced web developer and hardware technician. In addition to contract work I will consider a permanent position..." or similar phrases.

7) The location of the site name at the top seems pretty much like you just randomly placed it where it is. There's more space above the name than below, it's neither centered or left or right aligned. It also looks a little small for the allotted space. I would suggest trying to enlarge it a little bit, left align it (maybe along the left edge of the buttons) and to center it vertically.

For what it's worth, there's one person's opinion.

Dave said:
The site looks pretty good in general.

Here are my suggestions/observations;
(snipped)
For what it's worth, there's one person's opinion.

Thanks for the review Dave and you're correct in a number of things. I have made some of the changes you suggested (I had already removed the weblog, guestbook and Amateur Radio information from the page).

As for the graphics, I'm a coder not an artist, I'll try and get the bottoms on those columns but IMO it won't hurt for stuff to float.

I split the site up more, and now have http://www.ithinkitsnifty.com as well as http://ny5i.ithinkitsnifty.com . I'm working on a quote request generator as well.

Hatton

Back