New WebMail Interface

Yash said:

Hi Yash

I've purchased and installed DWMail on my own server awhile back and have been using it intermittently --- I do have some issues with random PHP errors on replies but other than that the only issue I have really had with it is that it grabs the CSS from some HTML messages and messes with the look of the interface.

With the JH install, I personally don't like it defaulting to POP - I use IMAP folders and have to go through the advanced login but I guess that's just an annoyance. (and I do have my own install so it doesn't really matter to me.) ;)

It is good to hear that you are also looking at a stand alone HORDE install, to me, it seems to be the best all around current offering. However I do have some clients that HATE horde and prefer SquirrelMail - suppose I could do my own install of Squirrel for those clients.

Did you happen to take a look at ATMAIL - http://atmail.com/

Personally I would love to see that from what I've seen of the demo but its not cost effective for me alone.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll see if I can replicate the PHP errors I randomly get with DW and let you know exactly what they are.

Logged on in 'Simple mode'. I can't send any mail to myself or any other JH account, though I can send mail to my ISP account. It says it sent mail successfully, but the mails never arrived (after about an hour of waiting). They got to the ISP account right away.

Also, it doesn't have a 'Sent' folder and there appears to be no way to create one in simple mode, which is all my clients would be bothered with.

Not so useful...

Stephen said:
Amail is very buggy, when I use it, and I wholly HATE it. :)

Strange, seems pretty stable from what I used on the demo and I like the interface but haven't played around with it that much and haven't touched the back end administration...

bro said:
Logged on in 'Simple mode'. I can't send any mail to myself or any other JH account, though I can send mail to my ISP account. It says it sent mail successfully, but the mails never arrived (after about an hour of waiting). They got to the ISP account right away.

Also, it doesn't have a 'Sent' folder and there appears to be no way to create one in simple mode, which is all my clients would be bothered with.

Not so useful...

We'll be fixing that up, don't worry. You can continue to use your current webmail interface

In regards to Yash's related post here, I'd like to request that we have hoarde up and running BEFORE disabling the web mail clients available at mail.yourdomain.com.

Most of my clients (and there are many) use the hoarde interface and will not be happy if it suddenly becomes unavailable.

Sorry, But I did like the old way, when I can let my costumers to choose from 3 different web mail systems, to work with.
Also, I m missing the Language support, especially for Hebrew.

There will still be options, Yash has just put up DWMail to get comments on it for now. :)
As he said there will also be HORDE stand-alone. And there is another one possibly as well that I am "working" on

I'm not sure if atmail is still so buggy...
please, consider it instead of dwmail.
dwmail has an old interface, I think dwmail isn't the best option nowadays. We need to look to the future no past :)
give a look to roundcube too.
in the other hands really I impressed with JH, was a great decision move webmail to dedicated server. congrats!
only my 2 cents
martin

Hi,

Is there any chance we keep the old webmails? ... perhaps you could install it in the same exclusive machine.

In my view, I think is a great idea to have a exclusive server for webmail... but not soooo exclusive... in such a way that would also exclude all other programs.

If we can install squirrel as standalone, we'll definatelu do that.

I'm surprised no one like DW. I love its clean interface. Im not a big webmail user though.

i'm putting in another vote for Atmail. better interface. just a very nice app.

The dwmail 'security code' thing is going to get real old, real fast. especially for my end users. I can tell you now, it will prevent a lot of people from using; we have a lot users that check their email thru webmail once an hour or so thruout the day. the 'security code' makes it hard to just do a quick email check; makes logging in cumbersome.

also, as mentioned before, the defaulting to pop3 is bad. Why not default to IMAP?? IMAP is hands down the better choice for people that use webmail on a regular basis (or exclusively use webmail) because of the folders capability.

last thing--
i couldnt get logged in unless i went to the advanced login and entered my mail server name. i assume thats temporary?

-ross

I agree with the security code.

With DW you can specify which email servers (domains) you are allowed to check with the webmail and disallow externals etc so I'm sure that Ross' issue can easily be resolved in the settings.

I've been using my own install of DW this AM and the only error I was getting was connecting to mySQL server but should be better if mySQL is running on the same server as DW.

My experience with @Mail was one where it dindt like like massive usage. I used to love it, but became buggy as more users piled in.

DW, the same thing. I like the interface, but proved to be unreliable in comparison to Horde.

Now as far as Horde goes... well... it~s not the prettiest girl in town, but it~s more available.

Lateley, Horde has been crapping out, but perhaps new set up will fix that.

My clients use horde and squirrel from what I know of. Some use it and they have contacts and info saved on there. what will happen to that ? will we lose it?

thanks

I also just tested dw mail I like it but not sure about the security patches. I really love horde but this DW mail install worked very very fast compared to horde I currently use.

good to have options but I am really waiting for the horde install.

Back