null value error

Discussion in 'Database Support' started by Harrison, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Harrison

Harrison Perch

i am trying to import into mssql db a text delimited file. When it reaches the last row I get error "cannot insert the value NULL into column 'CustomerID', table "table"; column does not allow nulls."

I have removed all white spaces in the text file. And Ive made CustomerID an autonumber seed 2 increment 1. Im at the end of my rope. :( also I have mapped the fields in transform appropriately I believe. Thanks in advanced.
  2. DirtBag

DirtBag Perch

Datatype: int
    Identity: Yes
    Identity Seed: 1
    Identity Increment: 1

is the default created by the upsize wizard in Access when a field is AutoNumber. It should work fine.. but maybe that's not the cause of your problem.. try to remove the last line and see what happens
  3. riley

riley Perch

Make sure there isn't a blank line at the end of the text file. If there is not, try to remove the carriage return/line feed (newline) from the last record and try the import again.

riley
  4. Harrison

Harrison Perch

thanks for the responses. Im glad to be a member of jodohost community.

I did remove the last line at the end of the text file I have set the text qualifier to none : Row delimiter to {CR}{LF} : skip rows unticked : first row has column names unticked : the column delimiter to other : {space} : Append rows to destination table ticked : enable identity insert ticked : set CustomerID field source to <ignore> : and the field destination to Col001 . YET when I get to the last row I get this error "cannot insert the value NULL into column 'CustomerID', table "table"; column does not allow nulls."

Thanks again in advance. Here is a screenshot of my error http://www.pixpond.com/xx/jodoshared2.jpg
  5. Harrison

Harrison Perch

Iam thinking I might use this transform script to skip rows

Function Main()
    If IsNull(DTSSource("Col001")) Then
    Main = DTSTransformStat_SkipRow
    Else

DTSDestination("EmailAddress") = DTSSource("Col001")
    Main = DTSTransformStat_OK

End If
    End Function

However I get an identity error saying im attempting to add NULLS to the first row. I have been stumped for a few hours now. Oh well>
  6. Harrison

Harrison Perch

untick ID solved the problem