OffTheTopic.com

jevons

Guppy
Hey guys, just opened up OffTheTopic.com and could use some suggestions and members to help get a jumpstart on my community. If you have any feedback, or would like to help out with the project, I'd love to here from you.

My plans for the site are to build a cold fusion portal type application around the forum, to make it very interactive and unique from other forum and portal sites.

The emphasis will be on debates, and interactivity amongst 18-30 year old age ranges.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
John

Cool...
I love the site design, very pleasing to the eye.

.....How are you planning on building a coldfusion portal around the forum, if the forum is written in php?
....Just curious cause I'm currently struggling with integrating a forum into my site.

...Coldfusion rocks.
That's all I have to say...

The portal itself will be the most time consuming aspect, but it is very easy to call php functions into cold fusion and display snippets of it anywhere in a cold fusion application, I will keep you updated with the progress as it comes available. Feel free to join up on the forums too!

Thanks,
John :D

I like the look. Very clean. I just have a couple of comments after a quick perusal. I notice that sometimes the logo in the top left corner takes you to the homepage, and other times, most notably when in the forum, it takes you to the main forum page. I think the logo's link usage should be consistent across the site.

Also, I couldn't find anywhere (although maybe I just couldn't see it) where you actually explain the purpose of the site. It's obvious that there is a forum, but who is the target audience/potential members? I know you mention these things in your first post here, but that isn't useful for someone coming across your site for whatever reason. Unless, I, as the casual surfer, know what the site is all about I have no incentive to make the effort to join.

Other than that, it's a good start. Let us know when you add more community-based features. I am interested to see what you come up with, since you state you want to make something unique.

Good luck with it.

Back