Page File Hell.

Shannara

Perch
I am currently running a server that takes about 60MB of RAM. my VPS CP states that I am at roughly 80% of my ram usage. That's ok then ..

Based on that, then the PageFile should not be touched at all .. However, it just about maxes out when it shouldnt be touched, thus slowing everything down ..

Is this an issue with the VPS software itself? Or how can I fix this?

Firstly, you have a very long running intensive process, I have seen it as the top process on the server the last 3-4 days.

Second, the pagefile is the same size as the ram allocation, you are likley using 80% of the RAM because it has moved some to page file. Go to Task manager, select custom columns and add Virtual Memory as a column to see what it using virtual memory.

This can give you an idea as to what is using the page file.

Yeppers, running a game server that I end up rebooting a few times a day. Seems like VPS cant handle it (it's a very small online rpg server). I may need to upgrade to a semi-dedicated or so really soon.

semi-dedicated doesn't allow the running of EXE files like that, just so you know in advance.

Thanks for the update.. bummer. I guess what I'll try to do, is make backups, download them, and apply for a reinstall of the vps w/o plesk installed. Then see how it goes ... if still the same problem, I'll upgrade my plesk to the next higher version ($69/mo). Then, if that doesnt work, I'll end up getting a full dedicated.

Thanks for the input and tips :)

Give this a shot, go to plesk and turn off all the services except DNS and mail. That should free up 40-60MB of RAM for you.

What I mean by go to plesk is, the little red/white icon by the clock, double click it and select all then unselect the top option for plesk mail, and dns, then stop services.

Back