Planning to go for a VPS

Sriram

Perch
Hi There,

I've been a ValueHost customer of Jodo for more than a year now.
Everything is working fine till now and was satisfied with the service of Jodo.

But off late my clients have started askign for new technologies and new features. One client is asking for JSP support, another private nameservers.

So was planning to go for a VPS, but i don't know anything about Server Administration.

I've been a webhosting service provider since 2003 though, used cPANEL and H-Sphere.

And while i was going through the forums, i came to know about the following points, May i request anyone to clarify..?

1) Windows VPS are not fully managed. If not fully managed, then what is in the Jodo's purview..? and what all is in my purview.

2) Are all the support tickets from VPS clients charged..? Else what is charged extra..?

3) Can i create reseller accounts so that they can create unlimited end user accounts under them.

4) Can i provide them private nameservers and other normal features of plesk windows webhosting. If yes, do i need Dedicated Ip's for all the nameserver entried i create for my client.

5) If i go for a Windows VPS Silver plan, can i install MS SQL Express (guess it is free - BTW what is the difference between Normal MSSQL that JODO has on its server and MS SQL Express).

5 -a) If i can install MSSQL Express, how will users be able to maintain databases. Do we get ASP.NET MSSQL Manager as in H-Sphere Reseller account..?

6) Can i oversell Webspace / Bandwidth in Windows VPS..?

Guess thatz all for now.

Early response in this regard is much appreciated.

Regards,
Sriram

1) Windows VPS are not fully managed. If not fully managed, then what is in the Jodo's purview..? and what all is in my purview.

> We aid you with finding the correct docs, if there is a plesk bug we aid in getting you support, and we do windows updates about once a month.

2) Are all the support tickets from VPS clients charged..? Else what is charged extra..?

> No support tickets are charged unless they require us to login for a non bug matter. $3 per ticket is charged only for management of your VPS.

3) Can i create reseller accounts so that they can create unlimited end user accounts under them.

> Plesk is a bit different than hsphere so far as resellers, but you can create a reseller that allows multiple domains with seperate logins under them, it is not an issue.

4) Can i provide them private nameservers and other normal features of plesk windows webhosting. If yes, do i need Dedicated Ip's for all the nameserver entried i create for my client.

> you can do private nameservers, in fact by default I believe Plesk makes private nameserver entries in DNS, which one can use, or they can use the host DNS as well(either name will work) it can use shared IPs for private DNS, no require for each to be unique.

5) If i go for a Windows VPS Silver plan, can i install MS SQL Express (guess it is free - BTW what is the difference between Normal MSSQL that JODO has on its server and MS SQL Express).

> You can, but you need to set memory MAX limits, also the differences are bst noted on the MS website:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx
Express does meet many needs.

5 -a) If i can install MSSQL Express, how will users be able to maintain databases. Do we get ASP.NET MSSQL Manager as in H-Sphere Reseller account..?

> with Unlimited domains and Power Pack it allows for MSSQL Management.

> in plesk you can, but you need to watch the overall usage as always.

> We aid you with finding the correct docs, if there is a plesk bug we aid in getting you support, and we do windows updates about once a month.

> No support tickets are charged unless they require us to login for a non bug matter. $3 per ticket is charged only for management of your VPS.

> Plesk is a bit different than hsphere so far as resellers, but you can create a reseller that allows multiple domains with seperate logins under them, it is not an issue.

> you can do private nameservers, in fact by default I believe Plesk makes private nameserver entries in DNS, which one can use, or they can use the host DNS as well(either name will work) it can use shared IPs for private DNS, no require for each to be unique.

> You can, but you need to set memory MAX limits, also the differences are bst noted on the MS website:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx
Express does meet many needs.

> with Unlimited domains and Power Pack it allows for MSSQL Management.

> in plesk you can, but you need to watch the overall usage as always.

Thank you for your quick reply Stephen

Above you mentioned that "We aid you with finding the correct docs, if there is a plesk bug we aid in getting you support, and we do windows updates about once a month."

So say for instance the VPS goes down for some matter, then it will not be up until i see it is it..?

"> Plesk is a bit different than hsphere so far as resellers, but you can create a reseller that allows multiple domains with seperate logins under them, it is not an issue."

Can you quote few examples how it is different than H-Sphere as i've not used Plesk. I've used only cPANEL and H-Sphere.

So say for instance the VPS goes down for some matter, then it will not be up until i see it is it..?

You can use alerting services for this, we do not monitor, if this is a needed service we could work out something. You have access to a power panel even if your VPS is off to restart/control it as well.

You can use alerting services for this, we do not monitor, if this is a needed service we could work out something. You have access to a power panel even if your VPS is off to restart/control it as well.

Hi Nzkiwi & Stephen

Thank you very much for those replies.
As suggested by Nzkiwi, i went through the Plesk Demo and it seems to be good.

Ofcourse it is not as handy as H-Sphere though.

There were 4 Logins,
Admin (which i understood)
Client (Is this a reseller kind of access or how is it..? Din't understand much)
Domain (Is this a end user account / per domain control panel or something?)
Mail (Which i think is only for mail access)

And secondly, will users be able to access FTP from FTP client..? I din find how to create a FTP User. All i found was Web User which i did not understand.
Btw What is a Web User..?

Regards,
Sriram

You can do FTP too in the options it has FTP available, web user, it can do FTP as well :)

Thanks for the reply Stephen.

How about MS Access DB support. DO i need to install anything extra or it is already support on the VPS..?

Regards,
Sriram

Hi Stephen,

One more thing, i'm planning to go for Windows VPS Silver plan and will let you know shortly (coz one of my clients wanted a reseller hosting, if he comes to me, then will have to take a vps to provide him that plan).

I'll have Plesk Unlimited with Powerpack, Tomcat and MS SQL 2005 Express installed.

I'm very much happy with the H-Sphere Windows reseller speed / uptime.
And if i buy VPS also, i would like to maintain that sort of response time / uptime.

Now my question is with that much of RAM, approximately how many Domains / end user control panels can i host on the VPS (say most of my client's websites will get a max of 100 visitors per day and they are all not very heavy resource consuming websites. They are websites with around 50 pages and a single MS SQL database which is queried for Login info and other trivial information that is stored in it.)

I know it is very hard to guess, but a conservative figure will do.

Regards,
Sriram

It is really hard to guess this number, but if all small I'd say you could do some pool grouping and get 100-150 on there.

Thanks for the reply Stephen.

How about MS Access DB support. DO i need to install anything extra or it is already support on the VPS..?

Regards,
Sriram

Back