Question re: AOL & IP addresses

keltoid

Guppy
Can anyone tell me -- is it possible or more so, LIKELY that a person in New England who uses AOL and aperson in Florida who also uses AOL -- if they go to the same message board and post -- what are the chances they would have the SAME IP address??

I know AOL only has so many -- are they regionalized at all?
Are they dependent on where the surfer is coming from, or does it have anything to do with the site they are ON.

Thanks!

AOL uses a number of proxies, many having a Virgina Address, there is a slight chance it could be the same even at the same time. I think the chances are small but it is certainly possible.

Thanks Stephen for the quick answer!

If anyone else thinks anything differently, I'd be very interested in hearing it.
It seems to me that like you said, it could happen, but.. the odds would be very, very small, wouldn't they?? Extremely so?

I think if they were on the same dial up node it could be more possible but being so far apart I don't see that as the case.

One possibility is that they are on DSL with AOL and using their "top speed" app that is really just a caching proxy, that could make it show the same IP as well.

Back