Redirecting affiliate links

I have a client that is a part of an affiliate program. He has a link that looks like H-SPHERE where the xxxxx is his affiliate id.

The nice thing about the program my client is in is the owners of the affiliate program has a good system that allows the id to be stripped and they still track who the affiliate is through various methods. This is fine and dandy, but my client still doesn't want to show his affiliate link to the general public so he wants to create a domain and then redirect it in some manner. For example he would want something like www.myaffiliatedomain.com and have it redirected to the above which in turn ends up looking like www.theaffiliateprogramdomain/webpage.html.

My question is what is the best method for doing the redirect? Use the redirect feature in the control panel? Or something in code? If in code could you please provide an example?

Remember that the affiliate program owner already has a system that strips the affiliateID so we just need to be able to redirect from a domain name.

Thanks.

Also if you do redirect via the control panel will the logs reflect when someone came to the website which in turn was redirected?

Back