Regarding Spam Filtering

I just signed up for the Value plan and have Plesk installed on my VPS but noticed it did not include spam filtering. I'm used to shared accounts where Spam Assassin always comes standard.

If spam filtering only comes with the Power Pack, can we install it separately? I'd hate to spend the extra money for the PowerPack and unlimited domains when I don't need either.

SpamAssassin only comes with Power Pack. The plesk integration will only work with it, if you wish to try it outside of plesk for all users, go for it.

Hi -

Just my (unsolicited) 2c:

I know there is much that can be done with SpamAssassin to tweek it, and I'm not an expert on the software, but I have to say I have never been very impressed by it.

Unless your running an application that doesn't support SSL, you might want to consider Google Apps Email (not gmail).

The Standard Edition is free, takes 10 minutes to set up (just update your MX in Plesk and ftp an HTML doc that contains your service number), has an incredible feature set, the spam filtering is outstanding, and storage is gigantic.

We began offering it free to all of our clients several months ago and it's been a real benefit to all parties.

Again, just my 2c.

HTH,
David

Thanks DavidG. That's a really good idea, actually. I'll look into it though I think I'm going to give installing SpamAssassin first as I'd rather my e-mail be stored on my server rathern than a 3rd party's server.

Thanks DavidG. That's a really good idea, actually. I'll look into it though I think I'm going to give installing SpamAssassin first as I'd rather my e-mail be stored on my server rathern than a 3rd party's server.

You're most welcome -

Another potential downside with Google Apps is mailing lists, which are limited to (something like) 400 per hour.

For our larger mailing lists we do use the Jodo VPS MailEnable server with SA, which works great for large lists as well as for complex mail routines and scripts.

RE: maintaining mail on your server, I guess personally I can see it either way. You're certainly gaining control, but I actually prefer to spread services across servers whenever possible. It's good both for balancing/optimizing resources as well as minimizing the impact of failures on any given server. Anyways....

Good Luck!
David

I ended up taking your suggestion and now everything is hosted with Gmail. It's nice but I may have to move off of it due to POP restrictions. It's unfortunate that you can't download your email more than once (so if I have a phone that downloads it, my computer at home wouldn't receive it and vice versa) via POP unless you change your e-mail address to recent:[email protected] and even then it only works for e-mails within the past 30 days (so you can't do a download of all e-mails for, say a year unless you use IMAP).

I was able to setup spamassassin successfully on my VPS but the issues with it using 100% of the CPU when receiving e-mails was very discouraging.

I ended up taking your suggestion and now everything is hosted with Gmail. It's nice but I may have to move off of it due to POP restrictions. It's unfortunate that you can't download your email more than once (so if I have a phone that downloads it, my computer at home wouldn't receive it and vice versa) via POP unless you change your e-mail address to recent:[email protected] and even then it only works for e-mails within the past 30 days (so you can't do a download of all e-mails for, say a year unless you use IMAP).

I was able to setup spamassassin successfully on my VPS but the issues with it using 100% of the CPU when receiving e-mails was very discouraging.

what is the issue with using IMAP? It is far superior when using multiple access means

what is the issue with using IMAP? It is far superior when using multiple access means

IMAP is indeed the superior feature - it keeps everything synchronized. Very useful for those on the go who are accessing from multiple sites.

But it often comes with a serious performance penalty (at least with GApps).

Email on your home client (Outlook, etc...) can, and often does, slow to a crawl.

One alternative (or addition) to POP, would be the forwarding feature.

Not very elegant, but I know some who have used it to good effect.

HTH,
David

Back