Resource Restrictons - New Resellers

Yash

Bass
Dated: October 16, 2005

We will be enforcing a new restriction on resource usage for resellers signing up from October 17, 2005. The purpose of our reseller packages is to give resellers a large amount of resources at low prices so they can resell to their clients. However what is happening is that some customers are signing up for our reseller packages and using it to host a single large account, using up all the disk space and bandwidth for that single account. The problem with this is that the entire reseller account ends up getting hosted on ONE server. And as a result of that, an enormous strain is put on that server by that single reseller. In ideal circumstances, a reseller would sell smaller accounts and these accounts would be spread over multiple servers as the reseller grows. This ensures the speed and quality of our services. However in many cases, this is not happening and the reseller is using our reseller packages as a shared package.

Hence for new resellers ONLY, we will be enforcing a 33% resource restriction on your package. That means that if you have signed up for a valuehost account, your largest account could only host 1.66GB (33% of 5GB) of Disk Space and 26.66GB (33% of 80GB) of monthly transfer. No account could exceed the 33% limit for either disk space or bandwidth. If any account uses more than 33% of diskspace/bandwidth, we will be forced to ask you to upgrade to a higher reseller plan. While you cannot sell a single account using more than 33% of the available resources, you can sell for example 3 accounts using 33% resources each, hence using up your entire reseller allocation. We have no objection to this

Our shared hosting plans as well as our semi-dedicated plans don't have any such restriction and you can use 100% of the available resources in that single account

I just hope you are kidding! This has to be the worst thing I've ever heard... I offer larger packages...

Please tell me that old resellers do not follow that restriction...

Dave96,

You see the reply there, and it is correct. But this is for the best for everyone, balanced packages= balanced servers.

I'd like to offer my stong support for this move. People always try to get everything for nothing and Jodo, like any other host out there, needs to make a living.

If you have a customer who needs 80GB of traffic, well duh - they should be a) on a dedicated server, and b) paying a premium so you can afford it. Hosts like Jodo also support "overselling", which is acceptable practice.

Jodo has a business model that supports resellers. Being a reseller means you have a business model too. If your business model is different, discuss it with them like a good businessperson. Don't abuse the system and muck it up for the rest of us, or complain coz you can't get away with it. Do the right thing and we will all be happy.

Ok sermon over. :)

ok, so ONLY new customers?

I just want to confirm :)

And to Antic, I am not abusing of the system... I have over 50 accounts on my reseller...

Dave, note this part:
If any account uses more than 33% of diskspace/bandwidth, we will be forced to ask you to upgrade to a higher reseller plan.

It doesn't say you can't sell a plan with 30GB, it says usage. If you sale TOO many that are over it you are on a slippery slope, but otherwise you should be alright to go over it a bit on a few. Still, this does not apply for you.

Also, by all means use your entire disk space in your reseller plan. But don't abuse it by hosting a single large account for your huge 100,000 hits/day website that is CPU intensive. The concept of reselling is giving resellers a large amount of disk space so they can resell smaller units. Not so that it can be used as a shared account. Using it as a shared account puts all the load on one server, and that can cause issues.

However, old resellers are exempt from this and this policy will never apply to old resellers. Although abiding by this policy would be a good idea, its not enforceable. By having this apply to new resellers only, we will at least in the future be able to ensure more even load distribution which is the ultimate goal of this policy. We dont expect to see any immediate benefits, but in 1 year from now the benefits would become apparent.

Yash said:
However, old resellers are exempt from this and this policy will never apply to old resellers. Although abiding by this policy would be a good idea, its not enforceable. By having this apply to new resellers only, we will at least in the future be able to ensure more even load distribution which is the ultimate goal of this policy. We dont expect to see any immediate benefits, but in 1 year from now the benefits would become apparent.

Stephen?

Resource Restriction policy is related to disk space usage. CPU usage is already mentioned in our TOS which is stated here:

"Server Abuse

Server abuse includes any process or service usage that affects normal server/system operation, resources or connectivity, and which causes a server/system to become overloaded. Such abuse includes, but is not limited to, excessive CPU, hard disk and memory usage, excessive number of concurrent processes, excessive number of concurrent port or database connections and excessive bandwidth usage. Possible causes for server abuse include, but are not limited to, the excessive use of: CGI, Perl, Sendmail, mySQL, MSSQL, PHP, ASP, COLDFUSION, HTTP, SMTP, POP3 and FTP. Upon detection of server abuse, JodoHost will try to disable the specific script, website or database that is causing the abuse under your Service Account. If this is not possible, JodoHost will suspend your entire Service Account. The specific script, website or database under the Service Account or the Service account itself will only be resumed once the Customer has corrected the problem and convinced JodoHost that the abuse will not occur again. JodoHost will endeavor to provide prior notification before carrying out any such action but JodoHost may do so without any such notification, in its own discretion."

We had this policy since the begining of JodoHost operation. This is applicable to all customers ie shared customers, new and old resellers.

Yes, we will of course not accept websites that generate excessive CPU load and old resellers already come under this. However they resource restrictions aren't enforceable.

However, for newer resellers, with this resource restriction, we hope to prevent most cases of such abuse and instead have load spread out for the benefit of all.

Back