seeting up mail services on server

snooper

Perch
this question relates to a dedicated server that a client has, not with Jodo, thats why this is in a non-support forum.

any help appreciated.
we need to have email notifications sent from the server (Win 2003, SP1), and i have just activated the "mail services", and i see it created a "mailroot" folder with various sub folders. now, when i send a CDOSYS email, (without authentication), it seems fine, and i can see an email waiting in the "queue" folder. the question is how does that email actually get sent?

Thanks!!

If the SMTP service is on, it should go to pickup, then to queue, then be sent out. If the server does not have rDNS and does not have a HELO greeting matching the rDNS, it may sit in the queue for 24 hours and then move to badmail as most mailservers don't access non rDNSed and even mroe don't accept non fQDN HELO greetings.

Thanks Stephen.

Whats the procedure for setting up the rDNS and HELO? and does one have to have a domain set for this, or can it be done with IP only?

rDNS will be done with the provider, it needs a domain, or to use the ISPs hostname, it will be soemthing like reverse-ipnumber.theirdomain.com you can change your help greeting to work with this, I am attaching a JPG with the details on setting the HELO greeting.

Attachments

• smtpjpg.jpg
    smtpjpg.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 56
Back