Semi-dedicated hosting questions

jesylv

Guppy
I am presently a reseller and I have several clients complaining about slow response times. All are using DNN 3.1. I am considering upgrading them via the semi-dedicated plan. First I have a couple of questions.

1) In the forum post (by Yash) announcing the plan. it is stated that 5 MSSQL DB are included in plan I. In the fact sheet on the web site, only one DB is mentionned. Which is right?

2) On a semi dedicated server, can we control the time the backup process is done ( All of my clients are in Canada and I would like my backups to be done from 2 to 5 am eastern time) so that it does not affect response times.

3) Can you change the machine.confing settings?

4) Do you have semi-dedicated clients running DNN and If yes can we get their domain names to appraise the site speed?

5) How much setup time is needed to activate the service?

Thanks
Jean

Hi
1) The published web page is right
2) On the semi-dedicated server, the backup process will not affect response times whenever it is done. Unfortunately you cannot control it
3) You can make local-level changes via web.config
4) I'll check this up for you
5) Less than 6 hours

Yash said:
Hi
1) The published web page is right
2) On the semi-dedicated server, the backup process will not affect response times whenever it is done. Unfortunately you cannot control it
3) You can make local-level changes via web.config
4) I'll check this up for you
5) Less than 6 hours

Thanks for the speedy reply. I would however suggest that you either delete or correct the post in the forum. It is misleading to say the least.

Jean

BTW, backups are done at 3:30am on the semi dedicated server, and take about 20 minutes. So that should not be a problem.

Stephen said:
BTW, backups are done at 3:30am on the semi dedicated server, and take about 20 minutes. So that should not be a problem.

In the proposed setup is the MSSQL server on the same machine or is it on a separate one, and what would be the backup time for this machine...

Jean

It is on the same server, and backups done at the same time. This is the only server we run that has SQL and Web on the same server, but we can do it because of the flexiblity of having only a few customers on the server.

OK Makes sense. I have about made my decision. Just waiting for Yash who was supposed to check if other semi-dedicated clients where using DNN. I just want to make sure that I will not face the same issues that I have now.

Jean

No one on SD is currently using DNN, it is all ASP powered sites.

As far as the response time, .NET always takes a little while to compile the data, but after that it loads quickly, SD will load a bit quicker than the others as the ASP.NET queue will be small to nil, as there are no ASPNET sites on the server now, and most likely yours will be the only ones there.

Back